PDA

View Full Version : Older, noisy "Wind Tunnel" Macs

Beamtracer
06-29-2003, 09:34 PM
When the "Wind tunnel" Macs were released, many people complained that they were too noisy, especially when booted in OS9. When in OS9, these machines roared so loud that instead of being a PowerMac, they were unaffectionately called the PowerVac!

This machine (pictured) is the villian. It is the one with mirrored drive doors, and huge vent holes down the bottom. If your machine looks like this, then read on...
http://depot.info.apple.com/generic/content/g4mirror.gif

The main culprit was apparently the noisy power supply fans. Apple answered this by offering "free" replacement power supplies, with a small handling charge (US$20 or so, I think).

Anyway, if you still have one of those noisy machines and you haven't replaced the power supply, you only have a matter of hours to do so before the offer expires.

Today (June 30) is the last day for Apple's power supply replacement program. More info on Apple's website.
http://depot.info.apple.com/generic/

It might be time to drop what you're doing and run down to your nearest Apple service center. Quickly!

toby
06-29-2003, 10:34 PM
I belive it was the second-generation Mirror-drive-doors-entirely-too-long-designation models that had a 3-speed fan that was the culprit.

If your M-D-D isn't noisy now, don't worry about it.

Dr.Evil
06-30-2003, 10:40 PM
what do we do with the replaced parts after we install them? Junk'em? or do we have to send them back?

toby
06-30-2003, 10:45 PM
that I don't kow - it will have instructions on that tho

Beamtracer
06-30-2003, 11:12 PM
You have to send the old power supply back to Apple.

If you don't make the deadline for this offer (June 30, 2003), you'll have to pay full price to get a replacement power supply.

riki
07-01-2003, 02:12 AM
My G4 use to sound like a dying cow, but I just ignored it and eventual the noise dissapeared (the fan is still working, I checked). I had the same problem on my old 5500 and I had the fan replaced. It seems like such a waste for the sake of a crappy little plastic fan.

Beamtracer
07-01-2003, 02:41 AM
If your computer sounds like a dying cow, rather than a vacuum cleaner or a 747 on final approach, then the problem is likely to be the graphics card rather than the power supply.

Early G4s had an ATI Rage graphics card with an onboard fan which would die a slow and painful death, and make groaning and moaning noises like a cow infected with BSE.

riki
07-01-2003, 03:15 AM
Yep that's it, the video card. Actually I sent my G4 to an Authorised Apple Reseller and Service Dept and asked them to replace the card (not a very hard thing to do) and the held the computer for two weeks and didn't even order the part. Even though I phoned them everyday and begged them to fix it asap. In the end I threatened to report them to the Department of Consumer Affairs and eventaully picked my G4 up unrepaired. I even complained to Apple Custommer Service but that was like pissing in the wind. For what good it did.

Dr.Evil
07-01-2003, 11:02 AM
oh got mine put it in.. sounds great... as for the parts my first page says the replaced parts should be displosed in accordance with local laws. Man they charge an arm and a leg to do it for you at the apple stores....