PDA

View Full Version : pc output to normal TV or newer lcd-TV

trang
10-09-2007, 07:48 AM
helo guys,

so, my queries are:
1. how does one output video files (avi, mov, mpg. etc) from my computer to a TV or lcd-tv? any special video cards needed? software?

2. will dvd players automatically play or will be able to play avi files burned to a dvd disk? anything else needed here?

3. wats a good avi joiner software?i would like to join some .avi files i have into 1 large avi file.

awaiting your advise,

iconoclasty
10-09-2007, 08:18 AM
1. If you're just wanting to run your video to a tv it just depends on the video ports on your video card. Any newer card will have DVI outputs (white rectangles) that can connect with an HDMI cable to an LCD TV. Many cards also have Svideo ports (round 4 pins I think) that can be run to any TV with Svideo inputs.

2. Depends on the dvd player mostly. Many (especially older ones) will not read a dvd unless it's authored properly. They won't just pull off AVIs thrown on a disc. But I'm pretty sure there are some out there that will.

3. If you're looking for the free category, virtualdub is a good, simple solution.

fgreen
10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
There is also a number of low cost scan converters available, mostly made to allow people to play powerpoint or games on TV screens. In case your video card doesn't have the right outputs, here is a link to an example from buy.com

http://www.buy.com/prod/startech-video-game-jockey-video-converter/q/loc/101/10313170.html

Also iconoclasty is right about the DVD players. Most of the new multi-disk and multi-format players will play .mp3 and .mpg files. Avi's will depend on the codec you use to compress your .avi files. Mpeg files are usually more compatible with set top players.

As a rule of thumb, the the more formats and discs listed for the player, the better (i.e. DVD R-RW, CD R-RW, DVD, CDI, MP3, VCD, and etc.) The longer the list, the more likely the player will play video from a standard computer formatted (ISO 9660) disk.

For compatibility with the older players, as iconoclasty mentioned, you will need to author to the DVD format with an authoring program like Adobe Encore, or burn straight to DVD format automatically. using full-featured burning software like Ahead Nero.