PDA

View Full Version : Troubles with IK rig snapping- not smooth motion

TunnelWalker
10-08-2007, 05:22 PM
I am trying to figure out IK rigging. Whenever I move my goal around, my chain snaps and jumps around. I have been trying to figure this out since version 5.6, years and years, and it is really frustrating me.

Is there a good place to look for a tutorial that discusses the basics of setting up an IK chain?

SplineGod
10-08-2007, 06:40 PM
Prebending helps. Also use 2d IK on universal joints. This means using two bones instead of 1 on universal joints. One gets IK in the bank and one gets IK in the pitch. I typically do those and I never get the flipping and popping.

TunnelWalker
10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the quick reply, Larry, (I have been out of town most of this week).

I shall give all of that a try.

BTW, I just got a few of your Kurv Studio Presents DVD's on Ebay. They are used but still in original packaging. Anyway, they are for LW 8. Will they be accurate for LW 9? I got the IK booster and Bone Tools disks. I hope to be able to watch them this weekend.

Chuckpie
10-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Larry I just bought and downloaded your IK Booster Tutorial. I had been trying to use other tutorials, however I am still having problems making my object walk. I have seen tutorials where when you move the ankle the body follows, but I have been unable to recreate those actions. I was wondering if version 9.3 was working with IK Booster properly?

SplineGod
10-25-2007, 04:51 PM
You would need to apply expressions to the character to make the body stay between the ankles as you walk the feet forward. Generally just doing that creates very dry, mechanical motions unless you add other controllers to allow you to animate on top of the expression driven animation. You can also bake the motions and remove the expressions and then tweak it by hand to give the animation some character.