PDA

View Full Version : installing lightwave 9 and lightwave 8 in same computer

ndrangesh
10-08-2007, 06:59 AM
G'Day mate
iam using lightwave 8
i bought lightwave 9
is it possible to install version 9 with out erasing the lightwave 8.
that is, is it possible to work in Lightwave 8 and open Lightwave 9 and render the scene in it.
since i have seen people say some 3rd party free plugins don't operate in lightwave 9 and its newer version, is that so

please help me with this

LAV
10-08-2007, 08:01 AM
I use lw (7.5) 8.5 and 9.x in the same machine. There's no problem. You can manage them with 2 different links to hub8 and hub9. You'll see that hub8 doesn't call lw9 or modeler9 and that hub9 can call just lw9(and 9.x). Actually I have lw9 and 9.2 with last 9.3 installed and working.
Maybe there is a more efficient way to manage the differen versions, but I find that is enought to install them in DIFFERENT folders (... of course!)

goodrichm
10-08-2007, 08:21 AM
Yes, LW 8 and 9 can be installed on the same PC with no problems. LW9 uses different names for the config files, but it is recommended to redirect LW9 to look for its own config directory when it runs. That way when you later upgrade to another LW9.x version you can have several different versions of LW9.x on your PC.

To do this, right click on the LW9 Layout & Modeler Desktop icons and select "Properties". Look for the "Target:" field. After the LW.exe, add a space, then -c"C:\config directory path"

For example:
"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9.3\Programs\modeler.exe" -c"C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave 3D 9.3\Programs\Configs"

They talk about this in the following link or do a search for "config":
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72729&highlight=config

Hope this helps...MG

donny
10-09-2007, 01:57 PM
The LightWave 8 and 9 have different config file names such as LWM9.CFG and LWM8.CFG. LAV is correct there will be two different versions of the LWHub so you will want to exit the Hub when you are going to switch versions of LightWave. You can do this by right clicking on the Hub that appears in the Taskbar and choosing exit.