PDA

View Full Version : Lighting Plugins and Options in Lightwave Studio

AJGoodwin
10-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I have been trying to light scenes for weeks with no real luck. Large scale indoor scenes mostly [Caves with architecture and no external lights], that can not use a global or sun light style illumination. I am looking for any information on the following...

The Lighting Options that are generally available in Lightwave [point, area, linear, spot...etc] are not enough. I am looking for either a plugin or reference to a tutorial on how to make objects into lights. For example something along the lines of making a simple half circle of squares that functions as a set of area lights. I would prefer not to have to use Radiosity either since for the most part I have had no luck with it for this type of scene and time.

Any insight woudl be appreciated.

-Thanks

AJ Goodwin

zapper1998
10-07-2007, 08:13 PM
Luminous polys and radiosity.
I have found that in some cases radiosity is faster than raytracing..

IMI
10-07-2007, 08:55 PM
You might check out using Luxigons, which can be used as lights, but aside from that - since you want to avoid radiosity - the lights LW has are pretty much what we're stuck with.

The only way I know of to use objects as lights is to make them luminous and use radiosity. You might be able to make a "cloud" of single point luminous polygons and use radiosity, but it seems like a stretch, if even possible at all. I'd think that would just simulate an area light, anyway.

I haven't seen too many posts from people saying that LW lighting isn't up to what they want to do.
Maybe if you post a screenshot someone can help.