PDA

View Full Version : Bump Slippage & Bumps Lost

MysteryMonkey
10-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm experiencing 2 problems. I finally got 9.3 UB working on my MacBook Pro and decided to try applying 6 different bump map images to 6 sides of a cube. I applied the bumps to the cube sides in Layout. I tinkered here and there and finally got them in the right places and oriented to their respective surfaces properly. Then I animated the cube to rotate in front of the camera. I know I must have done something right on some of them and done something wrong on the others sides, but not all the bump maps are actually sticking to their respective surfaces. They slide off the surface as the cube rotates. (please see attached mov) What did I miss?

The second problem is a little more disturbing. I just reopened the LWS file I created in 9.3 using 9.3. Everything, all the bumps maps are gone! Nada! I know I saved the file. In fact I did incremental saves as I did many of the steps in applying the bumps. What happened?

Any thoughts on what's going on in either instance?

MM

PS. Hopefully the mov file opens but I'm experiencing a problem viewing it myself right now after it was uploaded. It worked fine before upload but now I'm not too sure.

RonGC
10-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Sounds like you may have world coordinates selected for some of your cubes sides or perhaps the wrong mapping, double check each surface mapping to see if it is one of these. World coordinates checked will cause the texture to slide.

As for the maps disappearing when reloading did you save the object after making changes or just the scene. The texture information is stored in the object file so when you change textures you have to re-save the object for the changes to be remembered the next time you load it.

Ron

MysteryMonkey
10-07-2007, 12:23 PM
PS. Hopefully the mov file opens but I'm experiencing a problem viewing it myself right now after it was uploaded. It worked fine before upload but now I'm not too sure.

Well here is a PNG in which I've place 3 frame renders showing the slippage I'm talking about. Notice how the number 5 on the top is also slipping. It's orientatin to the edges of the top poly change as the cube rotates.

MM

MysteryMonkey
10-07-2007, 12:44 PM
. . . World coordinates checked will cause the texture to slide. . . . you change textures you have to re-save the object for the changes to be remembered the next time you load it.

Hi Ron,

I'm pretty sure that I don't have world coordinates set on anything, but I'll go back and check to see where the differences are between them. Unfortunately since I failed to save the object file after I had placed the bump maps in place the first time (sounds so simple now that you mention it) I don't have the original file info to compare each side's maps to one another. I'll give those a try.

Thanks

MM

RonGC
10-07-2007, 12:48 PM
to me it still looks like world coordinates is checked. I viewed the movie (right clicked save as) and i see the slippage.

If you use world coordinates the texture is fixed in space and the object moves through that space. So when you rotate the object or move it you see different parts of the image slide across the surfaces.

Ron

MysteryMonkey
10-07-2007, 04:12 PM
to me it still looks like world coordinates is checked. I viewed the movie (right clicked save as) and i see the slippage.

If you use world coordinates the texture is fixed in space and the object moves through that space. So when you rotate the object or move it you see different parts of the image slide across the surfaces.

Ron

Ron,

Well I got it worked out. It wasn't a problem with World Cooordinates. The problem was caused by the spot right above World Coordinates in Reference Object. There you can pick either none or the object. In some cases I had selected none and in some instances I had selected the object. Doing that can cause the bump map to slip also, evidently much in the same was as if choosing World Coordinates. So that fixed it there.

Also, I'm not sure why but I had been right clicking on the first mov file I uploaded and it wouldn't allow me to download the movie file or I kept getting a text file or it wanted to download "attachment.php" That's why I wasn't sure if other people would be able to view the movie. Right clicking like that has worked for me on countless website for years, but for some reason it wouldn't work with the file I had uploaded. Hopefully my newest fixed mov file will work for anyone interested in seeing it. Nothing spectacular. Just learning more about the program features.

Thanks for your help solving the problems I was having.

Cheers :thumbsup:

RonGC
10-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Glad you got it worked out, it is almost always something simple like that:thumbsup:

Ron