PDA

View Full Version : Inquiry about stopping relfection

MarkJTaylor
06-29-2003, 12:44 PM
At present i'm rendering a scene using several bounce cards; and radiosity (human head) The figure is wearing a sci-fi type of head set; that has a reflective surface. I'm using an HDRI image as the reflection image; however I want to stop the White bounce cards from also being relfected within the helmet. I'd poked and prodded around however at present I havn't managed to find a way to successfully do this. They are unseen by the camera so do not render; however I can't find a way to make them unseen by the reflective helmet. I figured that if I used a reflection map *HDRI IMAGE* the helmet would not relfect the bounce cards; however; they do.

Any light you may shed would be more than appreciated.

Thank you

JulianW
06-29-2003, 03:14 PM
Hi,

if you look at the environment tab of the surface editor (for your helmet texture) then there's a drop down for reflection options.. changing this allows you to turn on/off raytracing of reflections and change between using backdrop or a spherical map.

hope that helps,

JW.

MarkJTaylor
06-29-2003, 05:15 PM
Ahhh; how did I miss that? Theres certain things Im still new to in Lightwave; reflections is pretty much one of them. Thanks very much for your time and effort; its more than appreciated.

Sincerely;

06-30-2003, 11:07 AM
All this 'renderosity & bounce cards' makes my hed hurt, and I'm sure does very little for render times.
Is presumptious to suggest that newbies try to learn lighting using, er, lights ?
The proccessing power being used to calculate the reflection off a white card is going to be pretty massive compared to just sticking a light in. Or are we considering LW as a training tool for real life film/TV lighting - in which case telling the camera it can't see the bounce card is a bit iffy isn't it??

Lightwolf
06-30-2003, 11:12 AM
Adrian,
while you're basically right, the advantage of a bounce card is that it will show up properly in reflections, something needed for some types of product shots.

Then again, I tend to set-up an empty "lighting" scene with bouncecards, render it as an HDR panorama and use it to light and reflect my real scene...

Cheers,
Mike

dablan
06-30-2003, 08:04 PM
Mark,
one good way to work is to setup simple lights, perhaps a 3 point lighting rig. Then, use bright white polygons (100% luminous, 0 Diffiuse, Hidden from Camera) and then turn on Radiosity.

Using LightWave with both lights and radiosity works really well.

Dan Ablan

MarkJTaylor
07-01-2003, 08:02 AM
Oh wow; I tried what you said Dan; fantastic results. Thank you sincerely for your help and effort. Its definately made a difference with this render.

Thanks to all the other guys also who provided help with this matter; its more than appreciated; and I certainly hope that when finished; my work relfects your efforts.

dablan
07-01-2003, 08:36 AM
Good deal!

Glad it worked out.

Regards,
Dan
www.3dgarage.com
AGA Digital Studios, Inc.