PDA

View Full Version : LW 9.3 - x/86 or x/64?

IMI
10-06-2007, 10:50 AM
I just finished builing a 64 bit PC and I have a dual boot set up with Windows XP Pro 64 bit and Vista 64 bit. So far I'm really only using XP 64 - I want to learn Vista inside and out before I try working under it.

I'm still tweaking this whole system and installing programs, transferring data from my 32 bit machine, updating drivers, overall experimenting, yadayadayada, so I haven't even gotten around to any of my major 3D apps yet. Been doing some painting with ZBrush and DeepPaint 3D, but that's about it.

I'm just wondering about people's experiences with LW and 64 bit - I know that a 64 bit app overall better utilizes memory, but then again, so does a 32 bit app in a 64 bit environment... I think. Is it worth it to install the 64 bit LW or should I stick to 32 bit for now?
I'm thinking about all the plugins that might not work with a 64 bit LW, mostly, and wondering if the memory improvement would be enough to justify not being able to use FPrime, for one.
However, I have a dual core AMD 3.0 ghz CPU, so I imagine render times will be quicker. :D I also have a far better video card, which I assume will handle GLSL better. Are VIPER and GLSL any better in LW 64? Maybe I could do without FPrime if that were the case.

I've been going through so much experimentation with other apps and Vista, and XP, and drivers... frankly I'm sick of it, and was hoping to get some feedback to get an idea of what to expect from LW if I go 64 bit with it.

Thanks. :)

manholoz
10-06-2007, 12:43 PM
You can have both installed side by side, just create different config files for each. Then you can have the best of both worlds.

I mainly use 64bit for everything, except the odd plugin still not ported to 32bits.

But I'm not really a Lightwave power user, so someone else could give you more insight on this.

IMI
10-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Thanks! :)
I didn't know you could have both versions with the same license - I figured it was an either/or thing.
I also didn't know there's an x64 FPrime. I could have sworn I read that it was still in the making. I read on Worley's site that it worked in a 64 bit environment, but I thought that meant with LW 32. I'll check that out.

I'd better get Coming of Render-Christ 1.5 at least, with this new CPU - it wasn't cheap. ;)

Oh yeah...large files. I have some that I could barely load on my 32 bit machine, let alone render - am definitely looking forward to that!

IMI
10-06-2007, 03:49 PM
Yep. Will do. Thanks again. :)

Sande
10-06-2007, 04:15 PM
4. x86 (32-bit) applications have the same limitations under a 64-bit OS as they have under a 32-bit OS.
If I remember correctly, 32bit Windows apps can use 3GB of memory under 64bit Windows - but of course you can do the same under 32bit OS with that /3GB switch...

RedBull
10-06-2007, 04:56 PM
I've gone back to LW32 for most stuff (under XP64) i have LW64 loaded, but generally found it more of a pain to have to go back and use a 32bit plugin..

So many bugs in LW64, and FPrime is fairly unusable...
Nodes and plugins are usually behind the 32bit counterparts and the benefits are few and far between. So it's 32bit again for myself.....Other software that is not so defendant on Plugins i generally use the native 64bit version.

Zbrush3 is obviously only 32bit, despite there obvious lies on there website... :)

IMI
10-06-2007, 05:11 PM
So many bugs in LW64, and FPrime is fairly unusable...

Oh?:confused:
What kind of bugs? What do you mean by FPrime being fairly unusable?

Man, I'll be glad after a few more years when nearly everything is 64 bit - this is starting to get confusing. Too many options and variables. Not the good kind, either. ;)

RedBull
10-07-2007, 02:31 AM
Worley has an issue with the MSVC compiler in FPrime, so it often will show diffuse node shaders incorrectly, it's fine on 32bit...

There are a few other issues as well, with no sign on when they will be fixed.
So combined with lots of older plugins i use 32bit unless i specifically require a bit more memory.

IMI
10-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Ah, I see. I still haven't installed LW 64 yet, planning on doing that today if I get a chance, but it's not a high priority, especially with the plugin thing - especially FPrime, of all things.

pixym
10-08-2007, 07:25 PM
- I do not suceed in getting fprime 3 render hires frame on vista 64 :(
- win 64 is requested if you want to get displaced surface (and a more than 4Gb ram btw)

tektonik
10-09-2007, 03:25 AM
i have NO problems rendering in hirez with fprime 3.01 on xp64 and LW9.3

i have problems rendering animations (moving objects) with fprime 3.01 on any version 32 and 64