PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes Symmetry does not work...

VTA
10-06-2007, 10:34 AM
It worked beautifully yesterday, yet today it will not work. I'm using it to make matching selections on a face model and it will not work. Is there anyone else who has noticed this and is there something I'm forgetting?

I'm using 9.3.
Thanks for any suggestions.
-Vincent

Chilton
10-06-2007, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Can you briefly describe what it's doing?

-Chilton

Steamthrower
10-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Sometimes it doesn't work for me on the PC. You have to make sure you've "centered" the model (at least in my experience).

gerry_g
10-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Not just centered but exact mirror, also using certain modeler tools will break symmetry (pretty sure knife is one of them, multishift another, they work but either only on one side or the polys they produce are broken to symmetry), you need to figure out which are the culprits and avoid them if possible. Better still a restore symmetry tool would be rather cool, I believe some aps have them already '-).

VTA
10-06-2007, 05:40 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the replys. So far, I have a face; I'm trying to make a mask.
In order to enlarge the eyes, I'd rather select one side, have the other side selected and have it done in a uniform manner. When working yesterday, I could select the points around the left eye and have it select the exact points around the right eye. Today, for some reason, it won't do it.

The model is centered and all points are merged together. I normally after a model is created center it, either by pressing F2 or F3. I haven't used the knife tool at all in this model.

I understand I can simply cut the face in half and work on one side and just mirror the finished product when done, I'm just curious as to why it would work one day and not the next.

The model as it stands is the image below.

Thanks for anything you can suggest.
-Vincent.

gerry_g
10-06-2007, 06:25 PM
Well Symmetry is working fine in both 9.2 & .3 which means your symmetry is broken by the mesh, you need to deleat half, mirror and weald to restore it to true symmetry, either that or as you say deleat half and just work on the one side

VTA
10-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Hello gerry,
Yeah at this point I have what I have and I'll just accept it.
I have the model in place and am on to new and even more difficult areas of creating this thing.

Any suggestions on how to solve the newest aspect...

Mask (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74663)

?:D
Thanks.
-Vincent

MysteryMonkey
10-07-2007, 08:33 PM
. . .I'm just curious as to why it would work one day and not the next. . .

One thing that can cause a problem is if you move anything working in the Perspective view even with symmetry turned on. That'll blow the symmetry very time. For a while you may even be able to continue to move other points or polys that weren't moved out of symmetry, but it always catches up with you eventually and then stops working.

MM