PDA

View Full Version : Render and Segmentation Issue

spl3001
10-05-2007, 07:10 PM
So I was rendering something last night and noticed a fine line of sharp contrast across the image that wasn't suppose to be there. I realized that the image had to be split into two segments.

I found increasing the segmentation size to 128 MB would solve the problem, but for really big prints that a lot of people need, does this happen often? Has anyone else seen this before?

Example is attached.

Deadlyforce
10-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Yes, I've already seen that before. And if I'm correct it was with versions of lightwave prior to 8.x and 9.x. I don't remember well so I may be wrong but It may be caused by the noise reduction option or something like that (not 100% sure)...it was strange and sometimes very annoying.

toby
10-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Generally that happens with any post-process filters or effects that get applied after the geometry is rendered - like shading noise reduction, glows, etc. These filters read the pixel data, not the 3D data. So when run on one segment of a render, a lot of that pixel data is black, because it hasn't been rendered yet.

Maybe if LW was smart enough to hold off post-processes until all the segments were rendered, that would take care of it. Until then, do your own post-processes in Photoshop after you've rendered it, like the pro's do -