PDA

View Full Version : (OT) monochrome printers and neg scanners

noiseboy
06-29-2003, 09:08 AM
Slightly OT I'm looking for a Mac compatible printer which would give the best possible solution for printing out scanned Black and white negatives up to a size of 12"X 16".I'm also trying to find a bulk 35mm neg scanner, that can deal with running through 10,000 negs that need to be archived. Any suggestions would be gratefully received, I dont even know where to start and I always like to go on personal recommendation.

paintboy
06-29-2003, 11:39 AM
epsons new 2200 makes great B/w prints.13X19 max size, 7 color archival.
no crossover, but if your into B/W
also may want to look at cone editions B/w "piezography sys"
by far the most advanced B/W printing sys. using epson printers and their(cone) inksets and software.AMAZING B/W!!!!
I have a nikonLS -2000 whisch does a beautiful job with 35mm.
it comes with a strip auto load feature, but honestly i have never used it(in the drawer) i gave up on nikons drivers for OSX and use vuescan which is great.
Nikons drivers work great under os9. 10,000 negs?

http://www.inkjetmall.com/store/home.html

noiseboy
06-29-2003, 02:14 PM
Thanks very much for the lead on the piezography sys stuff, this looks very interesting, esp. the bit about archiving. Yes, it is 10,000 negs, at least thats what I have been told, I've been asked to cost out a solution for archiving an image library, but first the negs have to scanned. There must be some commercial batch scanners somewhere, but I don't think my client has a huge budget, so I'm trying to balance speed, efficiency and cost (usually story...)Its probably going to end up with it being someones job for quite some time.

noiseboy
06-29-2003, 02:21 PM
Actually it doesnt have to be a Mac solution, its just that if I end up supporting it then I'd be happier.

paintboy
06-30-2003, 07:19 AM
found this:
http://www.nikonusa.com/coolscan/index.html?page=specialoffers
they have them on sale:D
will scan either 50 35mm unattended. or 35mm roll strips.
plays either with Mac or "winderz" i think you should be able to do this with your mac.
good luck.

noiseboy
06-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Great link, I've found them in the uk as well, thanks for your efforts. The Coolscan 4000 looks like the one for the job, all I have to do is work out how long this is going to take.

Cheers