PDA

View Full Version : Capture from Multiple DV CAMERAS

swamiforlife
10-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Hey I was wondering i could capture and switch live from multiple dv cameras at once. Will this be possible with the new vt5

wvp
10-09-2007, 05:43 AM
you can do that with VT4, all you need is one or more firewire cards installed that have multiple firewire inputs on them.
that said, it will suck because firewire has too much latency and there will be a big delay in your switch. Also note you cannot record each input seperatly - if that is what you want to do.

Better solution is to record in each camera and send either a Svideo or composite signal to the switcher.
type in live switching in the search here - you see lots of tips.

animlab
10-16-2007, 07:48 AM
I have been tested with multiple DV inputs with VT and they seems work fine. The trick is you need a DV card (chip) for a DV input. Never attach more than one DV source to a DV chip.

Most PC now came with two 1394 ports but they are only one DV chip on motherboard. A DV add on card may add 3 or more DV ports into PC but they are also one DV chip on the card only.

Switching and captureing with DV at same time is OK but note that DV do have delay from 10-50 frames. If you are doing live and project PGM at the stage, you will have big trouble. Also you have to take audio from DV line. Any analog audio add into VT with mixer will not sync with DV. However, if you are just recording it or broadcast them out, it should be OK.