PDA

View Full Version : Export a Complete Animation/Volume/PFX as a Static Mesh?

cptfishstick
10-04-2007, 12:57 PM
I have 2 very weird questions, and it may be hard to explain, but it is crucial to the art research product which I am in the R & D stages of.
I belive that this is not possible nativley in Lightwave, and would require some lscripting. So Initially I want to know if what I want is possible with Lscripts.

Here is Question 1:
Lets say I have created a group of volumetric effects within a Lightwave Scene. How, if possible, could I export this Volumetric Shape/object?

Here is Question 2:
Lets say I have animated a Partical Emiter. Would it be possible to Export all the points created by the Partical Emiter at the end of an animation as a Model, or set of static Points?

Here is Question 3:
Lets say I have several seconds of a complete animated character. (bones, model, etc.). What I am interested in doing, is exporting the animation as a single, static mesh.
What this entails, is having the model in all poses simultaneously, superimposed over one another.

This would be similar to ghosting, except that the ghosts are solid, and the animation does not play.

Essentially I want this Photo below (were it a cg model animation) to be exported as a static model. This will look very weird, and look like a million models placed within eachother, but that is what I am looking for.

http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photofile-misc/strobe-motion-ta-08.jpg

I hope I explained it ok,
Is there a way to do this within Lightwave, with lscripting, or within any other programs that you guys would know of?

How about exporting a model in a specific pose during an animation as a static posed model, and I could just cut and past them?

Thanks for your time!

-Chase

faulknermano
10-04-2007, 10:23 PM
1. there is a bake volumetrics option when you use the Volume Mode. in the HV panel click the Shading tab > Basic Tab and you'll see the option there. it's a bit tricky to load it back sometimes. you'll find out what i'm talking about. :)

2. natively no. an lscript must be customised. unfortunately, i dont know of any existing lscript that does this, and it doesnt sound trivial to do.

3. this is done in two parts. the first is to save the object sequence as separate meshes and then the second step is to combine all those objects into one.

// saves object sequence
generic
{
s = Scene().firstSelect();
sfn = s.filename;
split_sfn = split(sfn);
myPath = split_sfn[1] + split_sfn[2];
objectDir = getdir("Objects");
st = Scene().previewstart;
ed = Scene().previewend;
for(i=st;i<=ed;i++)
{
GoToFrame(i);
objStr = "SaveTransformed " + myPath + s.name + "_" + i + ".lwo";
CommandInput(objStr);
}

}

// this loads directory full of lwos into the currently active layer.
//originally loadObjN2Lyr.ls
@warnings 0
@version 2.3
@script modeler
@name Load Object Directory Into Layer

getContentObjectDir: str
{
objDir = getdir("Objects");
contentDir = getdir("Content");

myDefaultDir = recall(str,objDir);

if(myDefaultDir.contains(contentDir) == false)
return(objDir);
else
return(myDefaultDir);
}

main
{

objList[1] = nil;
fullDir = getContentObjectDir("myDir");

fn = getfile("Load Object Directory Into Layer","*.lwo;*.obj",fullDir,true);

return if(fn == nil);

(d,p,f,e) = split(fn);

myDir = string(d,p);

store("myDir",myDir);
objList = matchfiles(myDir,string("*",e));

if(objList.size() == 0)
return;

for(i=1;i<=objList.size();i++)
{
thisObject = string(myDir,objList[i]);
curObj = Mesh(0);

curName = curObj.name;

current = lyrfg();

load(thisObject);

copy();

close();

setobject(curName);

lyrsetfg(current);

paste();

}
}

Mr Rid
10-05-2007, 05:54 AM
2. natively no. an lscript must be customised. unfortunately, i dont know of any existing lscript that does this, and it doesnt sound trivial to do.[/code]

If I understand the original question correctly, actually you can do this with a Partigon emitter with a simple Save Transform.

Mr Rid
10-05-2007, 07:11 AM

Here is Question 3:
Lets say I have several seconds of a complete animated character. (bones, model, etc.). What I am interested in doing, is exporting the animation as a single, static mesh.
What this entails, is having the model in all poses simultaneously, superimposed over one another.
-Chase

Interesting idea. I MDscanned a character animation, applied the MDD back on the character with MDplug, cloned it a few times, then offset the Action Start for each one. Only took a few minutes to get a moving animation of a 'multi exposure' photographic effect.
http://www.box.net/shared/static/ezczn9acs8.mov

Although it is easier to just take your finished animation into After Effects or Fusion and offset multiple instances in a comp and blend to taste.

faulknermano
10-07-2007, 03:12 AM
If I understand the original question correctly, actually you can do this with a Partigon emitter with a simple Save Transform.

nice thinking.
:thumbsup:

Mr Rid
10-08-2007, 02:43 AM
nice thinking.
:thumbsup:

I have to try to come up with these things. Scripting frightens me like a cat and a vacuum cleaner.