PDA

View Full Version : Ground Interaction

10-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Is there any way for me to make a coin bounce off of the ground without keyframing every hit,:help: spin and twist? I can keyframe it but I want to have a lot of coins and I was really hoping there would be a way to automate the coins interacting with the ground in LW 7.5. If anybody has any hints or tips, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Greg Kuhn

walfridson
10-04-2007, 01:56 PM
7.5, two old plugins comes to mind. Impact! and another one from dstorm that later became hardfx(?). Maybe that one isnt available any more

http://www.dynamic-realities.com/

to bad ODE is only 8.5.. http://www.kevinmacphail.com/2.html

Ztreem
10-05-2007, 02:59 AM
You can also play with motion designer, it can do rigid body dynamics with the right settings.

RedBull
10-05-2007, 03:12 AM
You could simply add a gravity motion modifier to the coin... (this works for very simple things, and you won't even need a ground plane)
If you need more than that PFX, PFX Linker, Gravity and Collision, will easily do the job without any plugins.
You may also try vertigo, and sticky motion modifiers as well.

10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
I have been going over and over the Collision and Gravity plug-ins. I assume you apply the FX Collision to the floor and the FX Gravity to the Object you want to bounce. However, I cannot get any interaction between the floor and object to take place. Just wondering if you had any more specific hints or tips you could offer. Or if you knew of a good tutorial on this.

Thanks again,
Greg Kuhn (Kuhndog)

Ztreem
10-08-2007, 03:17 PM
First you set up a collision plane as the ground/floor you want your object to hit. Then you add a gravity object for gravity(this can also be set in the FXmotion plugin). Then add the FXmotion motion modifier to your object (with object selected press 'm' and choose FXmotion in the drop down menu).
Now you can drag the timeline and see your object fall to the ground. Set weight and rotation in the FXmotion panel and ground bouncing in the collision panel.

RedBull
10-08-2007, 03:52 PM
I have been going over and over the Collision and Gravity plug-ins. I assume you apply the FX Collision to the floor and the FX Gravity to the Object you want to bounce. However, I cannot get any interaction between the floor and object to take place. Just wondering if you had any more specific hints or tips you could offer. Or if you knew of a good tutorial on this.

Thanks again,
Greg Kuhn (Kuhndog)

Here is a very quick setup of the two methods i mentioned.
Two scenes one very simple sphere with gravity motionmodifier applied..

The 2nd is the way is preferred you should do it, it includes some particles and a ground collision. Both very simple, but will let you know what's going on.
Really you would just add your coin object via FXLinker and all the particles would become coins.

If you need any more help let me know.

10-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Unfortunately, I am still in LW7.5. The scenes you loaded will not open for me. Is there anyway you can save to be compatible with LW7.5? I really appreciate all of the help.

Thanks!
Kuhndog

RedBull
10-08-2007, 04:35 PM
Don't have 7.x loaded, but i exported the scenes as LW6 compliant, so i hope it loads for you.

Bog
10-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Point of note, often missed by the newbie:

All the collision detection stuff is very polygon-density sensitive. If you've got one quad that's ten metres wide, and you drop a centimetre-wide coin on it, it's gonna go straight through. Make sure you've got divisions in your geometry - keep ramping the impact plane detail, until detection is accurate. It's a thing.

10-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Guys, thanks for all of the help. I just got the wonderful news that I can upgrade to LW9. Is this an easier thing to do in LW9? I was wondering if you could give me any hints for doing this in LW9.

I really appreciate all of the help. Lord willing my skills will one day get good enough to return the favor.

Thanks,
Kuhndog

Ztreem
10-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Yes it's easier and more correct in Lw9 with help of HardFX. Just apply HardFX dynamics to your object and add some gravity in the hardFX panel. Add a collision plane as ground and hit calculate.