PDA

View Full Version : How can make carpet like this?

aperezg
10-04-2007, 10:32 AM
Hi
Anyone could help me

I need make a carpet like this image. In Mac LW 9.3 UB.
One way different, apart of Saslite.

Matt
10-04-2007, 12:38 PM
I wanted to make a carpet similar not so long ago, failed miserably!

You could try using node displacement (APS) on a heavily sub-divided / subpatch object, but I don't rate your chances of Layout rendering! Maybe you'll have better luck than me with this method!

Could also use a "carpet of points" (a lot of points) with the "Layout Clone" script pointing it to a folder of pre-made tufts, with random rotate/size option switched on etc.

Layout Clone can be downloaded from Nir's site here:

http://www.hermoni.com/LW_plugs.html

(Great plugin this to have anyway!)

Apart from that and Sasquatch I'm stumped!

Greenlaw
10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
I accidentally made something that looked like that this morning while experimenting with Fiber Factory 4's Fiber Filter. I didn't save the result but I think it was Splay and Swirl set at around 20-30% with a thick Fiber Width that got me there.

You could download the demo version and give it a try yourself.

Hope this helps.

Cageman
10-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Yeah... some kind of Fur-solution would probably look best. Or, work on a bunch of textures with alpha and map as clipmapped/alphamapped (transparency) polygons depending on distance and angle towards the camera.

LAV
10-04-2007, 02:32 PM
I wonder why nobody uses HDInstance ever. I haven't it but I saw several images in Happy digital site and they show a wonderful instance plugin. To make grass and a lot of other 'fur' like things.

archijam
10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
I use and LOVE HDinstance! :)

Pity I usually want to instance xfrog trees, so I push it and LW (or almost any 3d program) to the limit ...

You can also randomly tint the objects created, though I'm not sure if it goes as far as your example (the HD example is with different coloured sunflowers) ...

j.

art
10-04-2007, 02:44 PM
What about evasion's mesh paint? One of their demo images (lady in fur) looked quite similar to what you are trying to achieve.

LAV
10-04-2007, 02:45 PM
I saw a very good grass field in hd site. So I imagine you can have a random fibers carpet using HDInstance.

Greenlaw
10-04-2007, 03:23 PM
I wonder why nobody uses HDInstance ever. I haven't it but I saw several images in Happy digital site and they show a wonderful instance plugin. To make grass and a lot of other 'fur' like things.

Hi,

We use HD Instance all the time. From discussions with other animators, I know it's used quite a bit at other studios too. The plug-in is extremely useful, and sometimes the only way to render a massive number of clones in LW.

As far as using it to create a shag carpet, that's a good idea. Rather than instancing a single fiber, you might want to model a patch of fibers (ideally, multiple variations of this patch,) and have HD Instance handle rendering them. HD Instance can place the volumetric instances on the vertices or polygons of your carpet mesh, but you may want to use something like Random Cloner to scatter the points in a more random arrangement.

Just for kicks, I tried using SasLite on a plane but didn't have much luck since SasLite doesn't seem let you reduce the narrowing of the fibers. Next I tried Sasquatch, and got something closer but it wouldn't hold up for closeup rendering. (I'm not saying you couldn't do it but I just didn't want to spend too much time on this.)

IMO, if you need it to look exactly like the carpet in your reference the image, HD Instance is probably the way to go here. If your carpet is somewhat smallish, using real cloned geometry rather than volumetric ones should work well too.

Depending on the angle of final render, you could get away with photo texture and a normal map based on a photo. There's a nifty normal/displacement map generator called CrazyBump that can create normal maps based on a regular photograph, and depending on the suitability of your source image, the result can be very convincing. Just take a flat-on photo of a shag carpet and feed the image into CrazyBump. I'm not exactly sure how it figures out proper depth data but it works like magic. It can even generate a fake AO map! During it's current beta phase, CrazyBump is free to try, so you may want to check it out:

http://www.crazybump.com/

DRG

bjornkn
10-04-2007, 04:47 PM
You should be able to make such a carpet with GrassGenerator or RandomCloner from htt://polas.net too?
Attached is a very quick and coarrse test with GrassGenerator (along with some quick flower experiments I'm working on).
You can control bend, curl etc, and the resultsare UVmapped.The cloned "grass" was a hexagonal 5 segment straight object with no bending. Maybe I should have cut off the top poly, as the tip is "Sharpened" anyway?
275000 polys!.
I think a combination of this and HD_Instance could work great?

RedBull
10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I think Sas would be the easiest option, failing that nodes and APS displacement should be quite achievable (as mentioned) I did something similar recently using Nodes.
(also use a velvet shader for surfacing, and use the animated blur node trick)

aperezg
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Hi
Matt thanks for your reply

I did this carpet whit Normal Displacement whit 40 SubPatch level (image c02.jpg), its look like hundred of nails. No one want this carpet.
The image c02a.jpg; I made some retouch in Painter 10, a little better. But is not that I like.

Hi
Greenlaw thanks for your reply

Fiber Factory looks excellent, but is only for Win32 and radiosity not completely supported yet neither Mac UB.

I never use HD instance, I saw some examples, the grass look like nails too

I Will Keep searching for better results.

Thanks for yours reply.

Iain
10-05-2007, 03:56 AM
I made a decent rug like this by just heavily subdividing a box and beveling all the faces then randomly smooth shift and beveling them again.

It looked great in modeler but it was too poly heavy for rendering.

Ztreem
10-05-2007, 04:06 AM
You can do it by point clone some geometry, here's a quick test.

safetyman
10-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Isn't there a plugin from the 1970's that will do this? Just kidding. I love seeing all the different solutions for this.

LAV
10-05-2007, 07:01 AM
If you don't want a volume with real geometry inside and if you are satisfied with just a volume apparence you could try a trick posted by Pavlov some months ago.
The trick is mainly intended for 'grass', but...
here's the link http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58274

aperezg
10-05-2007, 07:03 AM
I made a decent rug like this by just heavily subdividing a box and beveling all the faces then randomly smooth shift and beveling them again.

It looked great in modeler but it was too poly heavy for rendering.

Hi Iain

Thanks for your reply

I did a rug like you explain but the render took more than 6 hours, for the rug only, a lot of time for a portion of one frame.

Iain
10-05-2007, 07:42 AM

That looks great. Care to share what and how you point cloned?

aperezg
10-05-2007, 08:19 AM
If you don't want a volume with real geometry inside and if you are satisfied with just a volume apparence you could try a trick posted by Pavlov some months ago.
The trick is mainly intended for 'grass', but...
here's the link http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58274

Hi LAV

Thanks for this link, but I am newer in LW, I need to study more about weight maps, because I donít know where the dots images are.

aperezg
10-05-2007, 08:23 AM

Hi
Ztreem

This is I am Looking for,

Thanks for this image

Ztreem
10-05-2007, 08:28 AM
Here's a quick tutorial...

Cageman
10-05-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's a quick tutorial...

Thanks a bunch for that technique! And once again evidence of how wonderfull the LW-community is! :)

Elmar Moelzer
10-05-2007, 03:13 PM
How about doing it with Hypervoxels. spread some single point polys over the thing and apply volume HVs. With the right Hypertexture this should be quite doable, I would think...
CU
Elmar

Ztreem
10-05-2007, 05:06 PM
It should be possible the only down side I see with HV's, or two point polys which also can be an alternative, is the slow render time. My example with geometry rendered with all raytrace on and radiosity in less then a minute.

pva
10-05-2007, 06:47 PM
Ztreem thanks a lot for sharing this technique, all the carpets I've made in the past was making a very subdivided subpatched plane (maybe 16k polys or more) and applying to it a displacement map with 10% layer opacity or so, but it always needed a heavy postproduction in Photoshop and not all the times the result was perfect.

This way looks a lot better :)

aquinde
10-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Back in the day I'd have tried Joe Alter's Shave & a Haircut plugin. It had some great instancing features including various randomizing properties. I did a scene with thousands of flowering vines covered with instances of one leaf and it looked great. To be honest I don't know what I'd do if I had to repeat that scene today.

Ztreem
10-06-2007, 08:53 AM
You could do it with HD Instance now and hopefully we can do it narive in LW soon with built in instancing.

___mats___
01-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Hi Ztreem -

Any possibility of seeing how you created this? I need to render one just like that in Kray :(

PS : just saw the tut, great work, thanks Ztreem

Wade
01-10-2008, 10:34 PM
Two point polys and render outlines - check out Protons vidoe tut - "outlines".

-EsHrA-
01-11-2008, 01:50 AM
ztreem - u mean pointcloneextra3 right? cant find 4.

mlon

-EsHrA-
01-11-2008, 01:57 AM
ztreem - nevermind i found it in the pointcloneextra3 zip file.

mlon

Ztreem
01-11-2008, 03:17 AM
you can find it here. http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1319 look after this text -> ' Version 2 and 3 reside at the link above. Version 4 can be downloaded here ' and click on here.