PDA

View Full Version : Yet another poser about Poser

spacekadet
10-04-2007, 05:05 AM
Hi,

It seems most folks are trying to get Poser images into Lightwave. I want to go the other way because my needs are pretty simple for the moment. I just want some new props in Poser.

The first prop is a about as simple as you could get: it's a box with some stenciled text on the side. Actually it is a ballot box (with a slot in the top) and the word "ballot" on the side.

When I bring it into Poser, the text is badly deformed, to the point where it is unreadable (and ugly). I'm hoping there may be a better way to handle this process.

I'm using LW 9.2 and Poser 7. I saved the object as LW 5 object then imported it straight into Poser. Is there a better way to do this? I've seen a tutorial explaining how to map surfaces to materials, but to be honest it's not that important (not for appearance anyway). It seems to me this will only affect the properties of the surfaces, not the actual polygon geometry. Or am I assuming too much?

Thanks ... hope somebody can help with this.

safetyman
10-04-2007, 05:49 AM
You should be able to create a UV map with the text as a texture without too much problem. I would recommend exporting as an .obj; Poser seems to like those type of files better. Sometimes when you import a model into Poser, it will look like it has too much smoothing (not sure if P7 still does this or not). If that is the case, you can use UVMapper (free program) to fix that. Do a search in the forums here, or at Poser sites (Renderosity.com is good) and you can find more info on the importing part.

If you need me to go into better detail I can. I've made a couple of props for poser, but I'm no expert.

R Haseltine
10-04-2007, 08:05 AM
I suspect the issue is that your letters are made up of a single polygon, or at most one or two polygons. Poser and DAZ|Studio use renderman renderers which have trouble with ngons (polygons with more than four edges) and concave quads (where two edges dip into the shape, making an acute angle) - they tend to try to bridge the gaps with web-like mesh that isn't there in the model. If that's so the fix is to break your polygons down into quads and triangles - the Statistics palette should help you find the culprits.

SplineGod
10-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Create your UV maps in LW and apply your your images to the UV maps in the surface editor. Now export the object from LW as an obj. Reapply the textures in poser.

spacekadet
10-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Folks, thanks for these suggestions. I have a few things to try out now. Re creating the UV map in LW, does that automatically create the texture? If so, where does it get saved? Does it matter what type of map I create (spherical, linear, etc). Does it have to be imported as a seprate process in Poser? (I guess so... import the OBJ file then import the texture file?)

Sorry, these are probably lame questions. It sucks being a newbie :(

Re text being one poly or a small number of polys, I think that is probably the case. i'm away from my PC right now but will definitely check it.

cheers

safetyman
10-05-2007, 05:57 AM
Not having seen your model, you should most likely use a cubic UV for the box. You can export the UV view with either a screenshot or with the eps exporter (better) and open it in photoshop. You can create the texture map in photoshop using the imported UV image as a guide. Apply the created texture as an image map in Poser.

spacekadet
10-05-2007, 06:28 AM
Thanks for this information. Obviously quite a bit of R&D needed.

But I do have some good news. I tripled all the polys and it comes into Poser good enough for my current purposes :)

IMI
10-06-2007, 08:42 AM
When working files that you intend to export as OBJ, you should always make sure that the UV map is applied to it before exporting.
And if for some reason you create multiple UV maps for the object, the OBJ format will only export the one at the top of the list.
Why would you do that? Because it might be easier to map different surfaces with different UV's. That's fine as far as LW and LWO objects are concerned, but the OBJ format can only hold one UV map, and any other program will not be able to load your textures properly, unless all your separate UV's are consolidated into one map.