PDA

View Full Version : Making Liquids

echomedia
10-03-2007, 07:50 PM
What's the best modeling or surfacing tool to use for creating realistic liquids?

RedBull
10-03-2007, 08:11 PM
Better off using Realflow, Houdini or Blenders fluid dynamics and importing them into LW as Object Sequences.
It really depends on what your doing, ripples, drops, oceans and basic pouring of liquids, and fluids in a glass for example can all be done via various methods, such as PFX and Hypervoxels. There is also FluidPack by DStorm which has a demo, and dynamite may help.

echomedia
10-03-2007, 11:24 PM
Give us an example of what you would like to do.

I'm just rendering a still picture of soup in a bowl. So it doesn't need to be animated as such, but I would like it to appear viscous and cling a little bit to the edges of the chunks of meat and veggies floating in the soup.

LAV
10-04-2007, 06:48 AM
If I'd have to make that scene... I try to model the liquid surface....:)
Not so difficult, I imagine: a well subdivided surface and 'drag' or 'magnete' points.
It is a different matter if you have to make ripples around pieces of stuff floating in the soup (ripple procedural locked to null objects or to 'meat' objects).

But it's just an idea

archijam
10-04-2007, 07:02 AM
Another modelling technique recipe (maybe not so elegant, but I don't have modeler open):

Take some meatballs.
Make a water surface.
Use the Solid Drill tool to intersect the meat and soup.
Offset the geometry around the meatballs and the edge of the vessel (there are several ways to do this, Offset and Template Drill for example).
Shift the remainder of the water downwards.
Repeat last 2 steps to taste.
Sub-patch water surface.

I'm sure there are better ways, but .. Enjoy!

j.

0scrooge0
10-05-2007, 01:27 AM
What's the best modeling or surfacing tool to use for creating realistic liquids?

Realistic liquids only exist in real life, not in pseudo-3D space! :)

LAV
10-05-2007, 05:42 AM

An so what's that 'squish squash' from my case when accessing HDD? :D

archijam
10-05-2007, 10:02 AM
I have to admit you are right about the common unrealistic water renders. Did anyone see this publicity shot (http://media.outnow.ch/Movies/Images/2007/Ratatouille/movie.xl/01.jpg) from Ratatouille? The water looks like Slimer from Ghostbusters.

Not that LW could model it better, but the motionblur would be nice ;)

j.

echomedia
10-05-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the delicious soup recipes. More ideas are always welcome.

liquidpope
10-07-2007, 07:02 AM

True. And when you burn yourself with boiling hot pseudo-3d space soup, no one can hear you scream.