PDA

View Full Version : Will I Have Problem With Audio Loop?

blazer003
10-03-2007, 02:59 PM
We're almost 100% installed with our system but our audio has not yet been connected, and there is something that has bugged me from early on, and I'm hoping to get an answer from one of you with experience.

We're getting a mix of our church service into VT. I have been planning to play our weekly "announcements" video as an RTV file through the VT's DVR (or whatever letters it uses for the Digital Video Player.)

Here in may lie a problem. I have full mix of audio coming into VT so that we can record it on the VT Video Recorder, and also through the video out on the SX into a DVD recorder. However, I'll want a send to our main audio board with the audio from the VT digital video player to come out all by itself so that the audio from our announcements can go to our mixing board and be played over the speakers, obviously without looping the rest of our mix (which I think would cause a crazy feedback loop, no?8~)

So, in the audio mixing controls in VT and through the various options for audio out, can I mix it so that one of the outputs is only doing the Digital Video Player Out and not the whole mix? Thanks for your continued support of a VT newb.

Cineman
10-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Use the DDR in auto. Set the audio mixer to follow video with a same length crossfade from house sound to DDR sound. Be smart. Start audio on DDR after the transition length. In auto, the sound and video will will reverse out the same way.

Nes Gurley

alexxi
10-04-2007, 01:15 AM
speaking about the SX8, exactly this looping would happen:
3 Solutions:
a) the fader (VT-audiofeed) at the external Audiomixer has to be closed as long as your "analog in" comes to VTs audio output. During playback with DDR just close the VT-input, this is programable, the audioengineer has than to open the Fader, a case of communication between you and the audioguy.
b) recording "Main" aka "cleanfeed" to VT-HardDisk, and close "Input PassThru"
c) recording to external Recorder via Aux (hardware delay needed)

With the SX84 a technician explained me, that it would work in another way. The Front and the Back outputs are seperated. You should be able to route only the DDR playback in example to Back Output and all the incoming audio to Front output. I don`t have a SX84, so canīt check, maybe someone can confirm it.

alex

PIZAZZ
10-04-2007, 08:32 AM
Without trying to confuse you any.....

You have a new system right? You have a SX84 right?

In the software audio mixer for the DDR you will play your media from, make it only output through the Back outputs.

From the SX84 take the Back outputs, preferred XLR to the House audio board. You can also use the RCA Back outputs too.

ingky
12-20-2007, 09:46 AM
Hi Jef ...

With your suggestion, the DDR audio would be sent out via the Back outputs into the house mixer, which would then send them back to the SX84's input 1.

As i'm using VT Capture to record the "Program Out", would the returning audio (of the DDR) be delayed and be out of sync with the video of the DDR?

George

Cineman
12-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Hi George,

I'm not Jef but my answering will not prevent him from answering if he thinks I'm wrong, or has a different suggestion.

I think your question will be better answered by inverting your paragraphs.

As i'm using VT Capture to record the "Program Out", would the returning audio (of the DDR) be delayed and be out of sync with the video of the DDR?
Yes, because the audio input to the VT is automatically delayed to match the video delay on output..

With your suggestion, the DDR audio would be sent out via the Back outputs into the house mixer, which would then send them back to the SX84's input 1.
The answer to this problem is to have the house mixer send you a mix minus (all the sound that they feed to the house except that sound which you send them from the VT). In this case, send your DDR sound to the front outputs as well, and use front only for capture. That way you will capture them without the throughput delay, and without requiring further action with the audio mixer during the production.

Nes Gurley

ingky
12-21-2007, 12:55 AM
hi Nes ... thanks for your input.

I'm sending the main mix output from the house mixer into VT5. There's no option to send the house mix minus, unless i have another small mixer down the chain, to mix the house mixer output and the VT5 back outputs.

George

PIZAZZ
12-21-2007, 08:07 AM
hi Nes ... thanks for your input.

I'm sending the main mix output from the house mixer into VT5. There's no option to send the house mix minus, unless i have another small mixer down the chain, to mix the house mixer output and the VT5 back outputs.

George

Well I'm not Nes but you should be able to use an Aux output from the FOH board if you have any left. Just don't add in the DDR's channels into the Aux feed. I would use a Post Fader Aux that way if the sound dude dips something you will also get the dip. Especially handy when the bass guitar guy will not turn down his amp feed.

Best case scenario in any TV broadcast is to do a splitter snake and mix the audio for video completely independant. Next best case is to pull direct out feeds from the subgroups or VCAs and mix down those. Next sorta best case is to do the Aux out or Matrix out if available. If you have none of those options then pull a stereo feed. Unfortunately there will be a slight delay from the back audio out thru the FOH board back to the VT when you play and record the VT's output.