PDA

View Full Version : Animating camera zoom: fake or real motion curve?

4dartist
10-02-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey I just wanted to post this and see if others ran into this problem too.

When you animate the 'Lens Focal Length' (zoom) of a camera in the graph editor it detaches the motion curve you are working on with the actual motion curve controlling the camera. Uh, that may sound confusing.. But basically I hit the 'E' button to add a curve to animate the zoom, then I push up the one key that is made and i can see in the openGL the camera zoom in, then i add another key a few frames later of it zoomed out. So i scrub to see the change and it doesn't zoom out in openGL.
Then if I hit properties (with camera still selected) and click on the E key i notice the second key isn't there anymore.
Sometimes it's the first new key/selection i make in graph editor, and sometimes i can make a couple, but it's only one to three moves/selections at the most, then all the work is pointless.

So basically my work around has been to create my curve, then copy it, and click the E button and then paste it over that curve because as soon as i do one or two things to the curve it's no longer actually altering the REAL curve..

also.. I've tried bringing the camera curve up with 'shift-g' in graph editor, instead of hitting the 'e' of course because, well... its the hotkey for show all curves for that item hehe. But that curve is usually a false curve either from the start (meaning any of the changes don't effect the camera) or after a new curve point selection or change in the curve.

I'm going to make a bug report, but for some reason I feel like I'm the only one with the problem.

This is totally repeatable, it happens EVERY time I animate the camera zoom.

LW 9.3 UB
Dual Quadcore 3Ghz
8gb RAM
Radeon X1900

MarlonPerez
10-02-2007, 06:02 PM
Hey, I think I know what you're trying to explain. This happened to us at work constantly and finally figured out that we must keep the camera properties window open while editing the camera zoom in the graph editor.

Hope this helps.

4dartist
10-03-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey that's pretty interesting. I thought I remembered keeping the camera properties open, because i was constantly hitting 'E' to bring up the curve again, but i tried it today and your trick worked good.

If i select the camera and open graph editor and hit shift-g and bring up it's curves and edit the camera zoom it doesn't effect the camera at all, but if i open the camera properties, that curve for the camera disappears from the graph editor. Then i hit shift-g again, and the zoom motion curve comes up again. now this one IS attached and works constantly! I hope this keeps working, thanks for the tip Marlon.

3DGFXStudios
10-03-2007, 09:26 AM
You know whats handy?!?! Add a the motion modifier proximity to you focal length and select a null object witch becomes you focus point. you can then animate the null......

the cool thing is you can move the null in real time, combined with the Real time dof option it is even more powerful