PDA

View Full Version : Modeler scale question

gareee
10-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Is there an option setting so scale will scale groups of selected poly relative to their grouped position?

Say I have 4 unjoined boxes selected.. I'd want them all to increase or decrease in size, rather then "big bang" expand out as well.

Sande
10-02-2007, 02:23 PM
Use smooth scale. If I remember correctly, it is located under Modify->Transform->More.

arsad
10-02-2007, 02:26 PM
try modify tab, translate, more ---> Point Normal Move

does what u want

gareee
10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
Smooth scale works, but isn;t interactive like size is. I'll try point normal move

Andyjaggy
10-02-2007, 02:56 PM
I've been wanting an easy way to do this for a long time. There really isn't many options for doing it. I wish we could translate per volume instead of everything selected... if that makes sense.

gareee
10-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Point normal move works.. wonder why they didn't name is something practical like relative scale or something?

RudySchneider
10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
I'm still curious to know exactly what it is you're trying to do, gareee. I created three separate boxes of different sizes (ended up having to put them in one layer for Point Normal Move to work on all three). All three appear to increase in size by roughly the same amount, but if I keep scaling up, the size "differences" eventually diverge.

So, I'm still wondering what your goal is, exactly, so I can better understand things for my own (future?) benefit.

Surrealist.
10-02-2007, 03:08 PM
Point normal move works.. wonder why they didn't name is something practical like relative scale or something?

Because it moves on the point normals. It just so happens that because it does this it will also then scale individual object mesh in the same layer. If you select a series of points you can move them outward by their collective normals.

This works great for times when you Bandsaw a curved surface. All you have to do is switch to point select mode the new points will be selected, then use Point Normal Move to put the arch back into the curve.

Smooth Scale - mentioned - is the tool that scales in this way. Probably named after Smooth Shift which does an inset based on normals similar to bevel only on multiple polygons. Smooth Scale will also work on individual points but is not interactive.

gareee
10-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Hmmm I'll stick with smooth scale then. I'm surprised after all these years that scaling has multiple tools, rather then just one tool with multiple options.

Still long as it's there and useable, I'm happy.. ;)

Oh, and what I need to do, it reduce the size of the objects, NOT have them move towards the center point or away from it.

RudySchneider
10-02-2007, 03:19 PM
OHHHHH! NOW I get the reference to "big bang!" And I agree, that bugs me, too!

gareee
10-02-2007, 08:49 PM
Big Bang was the only way i could expain the behaviour

iconoclasty
10-03-2007, 07:07 AM
I thought it a good explanation. I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Andyjaggy
10-03-2007, 08:27 AM
Mmmmm interactive smooth scale...........

zippitt
06-17-2011, 10:12 AM
Is there still no better way to do this? I am using cylinders that have rounded edges, both smooth scale and point normal move round out the edges the more you scale out, eventually the cylinders look more sphere like than tube like.

I can't imaging that someone hasn't created a plugin to do this.

speismonqui
06-17-2011, 07:31 PM
Hmmm I'll stick with smooth scale then. I'm surprised after all these years that scaling has multiple tools, rather then just one tool with multiple options.

oh yeah! the :lwicon: way!
kinda the same with extend-extrude-smoothshift and move-move plus-point normal move, etc.
It takes time to get used to it, but it works. Im pretty sure CORE will have the same tools BUT (as you mentioned) with multiple options. Just one extrude tool, one move tool, etc.
Would love to examine just one of Matt's UI designs for CORE, don't you?

probiner
06-17-2011, 09:58 PM
Is there still no better way to do this? I am using cylinders that have rounded edges, both smooth scale and point normal move round out the edges the more you scale out, eventually the cylinders look more sphere like than tube like.

I can't imaging that someone hasn't created a plugin to do this.

In your case you would be better with a Rounder/Chamfer in a stack, so you could size the object and have to rounding applyed to it after automatically.
Cheers

Danner
06-18-2011, 06:08 AM
Mental Fish had a script called Polygon Islands that sounded kind of what you want. (site is down at the moment)

gerry_g
06-19-2011, 04:49 PM
Mental Fish beat me to it by far best option, or their inflate deflate but Polygon Island is best