PDA

View Full Version : Interesting comparison

StereoMike
10-02-2007, 01:30 PM
Maybe you already have seen it.
I like that they gave LW's renderer an "excellent".
I think they're right :)

http://www.tdt3d.be/articles_viewer.php?art_id=99

mike

sadkkf
10-03-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm shuddering they rated LW's documentation as excellent.

Does anyone else have problems with it? I can't find most of what I want in there. Searches for "bezier" bring up "gradients" and not all the tools in modeler even have topics.

This is absolutely ridiculous documentation. Read the F Manual? How about WRITE the F Manual!

:kevin

pumeco
10-03-2007, 09:48 AM
Of course it got an "Excellent" - it's the best renderer in the business :thumbsup:

Steamthrower
10-03-2007, 09:59 AM
It was actually a fairly decent, non-biased review in my opinion. It made me seriously re-consider C4D as a possible supplement to LW. They got it right when they said LW was best suited for VFX/Viz work. If you think about it that's what the majority of guys here on these boards use it for.

Sil3
10-04-2007, 10:55 AM
That comparision is a joke to be polite....

Some things that popped right away:

- XSI Fluids : Very Good... Xsi doesnt even have fluids of any sort....

- LW Hair: Good... Hair??? in LW???? lol??? (he doesnt mention a plugin so I assume he is talking plain LW unless to him SAS Lite is HAIR...)

- XSI Dynamic and RigidBodies: Very Good... yes they are but they are NOT present on the version he says he tested it on (Foundations)...which makes me think what version did he really tested???...

- LW Dynamics/RigidBodies: Good... good??? did he do any work with them?

- LW Cloth: No... they might suck beyond belief but LW has Cloth dynamics...

- XSi Compositing: No... true on Foundations but it exists on the other versions, the same ones that have RigidBodie Dynamics... so what version did he tested anyway?

Sande
10-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Sil3, I haven't used the software, but I do know that at least Softimage's model comparison chart lists Fluid dynamics to all XSI versions. What comes to LW's dynamics and cloth, they are definately not the best in the business, but they are not THAT bad either... :)

Sil3
10-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Well Xsi doesnt have them... even if Softimage comparision chart puts them there...oh wait are they refering to that so 90īs blob looking things???

Only show we should TEST things whem making comparisions instead of reading about them and then go out there telling that it has because someone said it had them...

About LW dynamics and Cloth... have you ever tried other Dynamics and Cloth engine apart from the ones in LW?

Sande
10-04-2007, 11:38 AM
Well Xsi doesnt have them... even if Softimage comparision chart puts them there...oh wait are they refering to that so 90īs blob looking things???

About LW dynamics and Cloth... have you ever tried other Dynamics and Cloth engine apart from the ones in LW?

Like I said, I have no idea what they are referring to - but you said earlier that "Xsi doesnt even have fluids of any sort" and now you are saying something about that "so 90īs blob looking things" - make up your mind! :)

I've tried other dynamics and cloth engines - and I've used LW's cloths and dynamics in a production work and environment. Like I said, they are not the best in the business, but in my opinion they are not as bad as you seem to think...

archijam
10-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Sil3 - If those were the only points you disagreed on, then it was still a very good comparison chart compared to most.

j.