PDA

View Full Version : Need Help or advice on STEP file

johnliebler
10-02-2007, 10:19 AM
I've posted about this over on Spinquad, but thought I'd try here as well.

I have a client asking for a quote to render a STEP file. The client won't be giving me the file until next week, but wants an estimate right away. I need to get some idea of how hard It will be to get this file into Lightwave. I've been looking around the web this morning, and What I'm seeing is not encouraging. Has anyone here done this with Lightwave?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Ztreem
10-02-2007, 11:29 AM
I would load it into a app that supports .step files and tesselate it and save it as a .obj file then bring it to LW. This would be much easier if LW supported NURBS but it doesn't. Rhino supports .step files and can save it as a .lwo.
Maybe you can ask your client to save it as a tesselated obj file, but it's better if you can do it, so you can tesselate it in a resolution that suits this project.

Ztreem
10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Look up Okino Polytrans, it's converter that support most CAD formats and can convert it to most 3D formats.

johnliebler
10-03-2007, 07:12 AM
Thanks for the replies! I may have persuaded them to convert the file for me. In any case I've gotten them to agree to be flexible on the budget until I see the actual file they want me to use. So We'll see what happens.

Thanks again!