PDA

View Full Version : New Mac on the way

GATOR
10-02-2007, 07:05 AM
I've ordered my new mac, a quad-core 3.0 ghz with 4gb RAM and the ATI X1900 graphics card.

I imagine with the whole Intel and UB thing, I'll have some challenges, so feel free to make suggestions on installation and such from any roadblocks you've crossed.

From what I understand, the UB version of Lightwave has issues. Should I just run the regular version, or will the speed hit be too big?

Even any non-Lightwave thoughts are welcome, I currently use Photoshop CS2 and After Effects 7.0.

GATOR
10-02-2007, 07:23 AM
How are the speed hits using Rosetta? I'm currently using a G4, dual 1.25 with 2gb RAM.

It is a "must" to upgrade Photoshop and After Effects to run Universal, or will the slowdown because of Rosetta be mitigated by the jump to a quad-core 3.0 machine?

BeeVee
10-02-2007, 07:30 AM
That will certainly ease the pain... ;) The biggest noticeable difference for LightWave is in rendering since that's "pure" processor usage. Without Rosetta's interpretation in there I've noticed between 3x and 5x speed-up, but it really does depend on the scene. But it is hard to compare anyway since the Intel-based Macs are faster than even G5s. Needless to say, strap yourself in good and tight... :)

B

PerryDS
10-02-2007, 08:19 AM
Upgrade to CS3 in all adobe products is essential. Performance difference on an intel mac is significant. On the lightwave side, it's fast but unstable. A host of bugs has emerged with regular crashes when rendering. Also, the plugins I have, Sasquatch and G2 don't appear to be making an appearance on Universal Binary any time soon.

4dartist
10-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Right now there is a large bug in the UB version that pauses LW everytime you switch apps, thats really the only slowdown i've seen in UB. Although i'm not a big plugin user. I've been working with the hub disabled and it's pretty annoying but i'm managing. I'd suggest having 9.3ppc installed to model and animate, and 9.3ub installed to render. The openGL performance in rosetta is pretty much the same from what i noticed. Maybe stuff opens slightly slower than in UB.

Photoshop is way faster UB than Rosetta. Worth every penny.

Aftereffects speed is the same. We didn't see any speed increase with the new aftereffects, until we added enough ram to get us to 8gb or so then with the multiprocessor setting on it may be a little faster, but only marginal. The new interface might be worth the upgrade though if you like the new layout. Everything is now contained in a bounding application window now though, which is odd.

First time i hit render with UB and my dual quad core, I think my pants caught on fire. :boogiedow

Scazzino
10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
How are the speed hits using Rosetta? I'm currently using a G4, dual 1.25 with 2gb RAM.

It is a "must" to upgrade Photoshop and After Effects to run Universal, or will the slowdown because of Rosetta be mitigated by the jump to a quad-core 3.0 machine?

I moved from a dual processor 2GHz G5 to an 8-core 3GHz Mac Pro. Even under rosetta I've seen about a six times render speed increase over my older Mac.

I'm still running Photoshop and After Effects PPC versions and they are faster on the Mac Pro under Rosetta than they were on the G5. I probably won't bother upgrading either of them until there's a Leopard 64 bit version.

I'm still using LW9.3 PPC layout when I need to use FPrime as a texture previewer (which is most of the time). And modeler 9.3 when using LWCAD 1.5. LW9.3 PPC renders about 6 times faster under Rosetta on the Mac Pro than it did on the old G5. The UB's even faster of course (about 11 times in some tests I've run), but there's no FPrime UB yet.

So I don't think you'll be sorry if you upgrade. I was extremely happy at how seamless and fast Rosetta was, comparing it to my old machine of course... Things will get even faster when I finally have UB versions of all my software, but since Rosetta's been working so well, there's no real need to rush to UB versions except for the most critical apps in your workflow maybe.

The largest caveat I've run into with Rosetta is that it has a rather large memory footprint so if you were just barely able to render something under LW PPC due to hitting the maximum RAM limits, then the same scene may run out of memory in LW PPC under Rosetta. The UB removes the Rosetta memory loss, but is still currently limted to 32 bit, which gives about 3.2 GB of RAM use before hitting memory errors here, on a 5 GB 8-core Mac Pro.

GATOR
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM
This is the kind of input I need, thanks.

I'll wait till the machine to show up to see about Photoshop and After Effects. My wife left Adobe last year so I don't get the employee discount anymore! (and under the discount you couldn't follow an upgrade route). But it sounds like I might be OK, as speed wasn't a big issue with these two.

I really was running into speed issues with LW v. 8, so I upgraded to 9.3 and didn't see the big increase I needed, thus the move to the new Mac. I'm just hoping the team is working on fixes for 9.3.

LW_Will
10-03-2007, 01:07 AM
Gator! Yeah... going with the Mac. Good one!

With the whole PC/Mac software thing is kind of mute. Get yourself a copy of... Parallels! Now, Parallels and not Fusion (Windows Emulators) because Fusion is a little unstable for me... its just the feel of it. If you get Parallels, make sure you get the latest version.

I can't explain how cool it was to be using PC Modeler Win9.3 with WeightMapBlur, while running the MAC version of Layout 9.3... using a tool that let's pc and Mac's use the same data files. Radical!

Use your PC versions of AFX, Photoshop and anything else you want while you find replacements for them.

Haven1000
10-03-2007, 06:44 AM
First time i hit render with UB and my dual quad core, I think my pants caught on fire. :boogiedow

The opposite happened to me, my pants became moist.:D

I alternate between the UB, PPC and X86 (via bootcamp) depending on what I need to do.

LW_Will
10-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Ew... you know what, the Mac guys are going to throw us switchers out of the f-ing room!

Hmmm... Moist pants, switching... Igottogo...