PDA

View Full Version : Using Backdrop images?

JeffrySG
09-29-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi all... On 9.3UB I have a model I'm working on where I put a image in the top view and the front view. After sizing both the images and positioning them exactly (which took a while) I save them using the 'save all backdrops' option. The next day when I opened the file, the backdrops were missing. So...

Is LW supposed to remember backdrops when you close and open a file? If not, why?

When I opened the backdrop preset it didn't load the way I had it when I saved the setting?

Am I doing something wrong? I would think that LW would save all the positions and sizes of all images used as backdrops in the model file, and I would think they would load automatically when you open the file. I didn't move the location of the source files (PNG) either.

Feeling very frustrated having to go in and replace both the backdrop images now....

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

brian.coates
09-30-2007, 08:24 AM
Backdrop settings are saved as a separate .cfg file, presumably so that you're not limited to using it with the one model file.

Mind you, saving the settings within the model file would be a handy option.

JeffrySG
09-30-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks for the info b.c.! I did save a cfg file (and then I did again after I replaced the images this time too). Hopefully it will work next time I try to reload the cfg file.

I'm a bit surprised that LW doesn't remember the last file that was used as a backdrop, but maybe that can be added in a future release.

cheers!
Jeff

archijam
10-01-2007, 12:12 AM
This has always been frustrating .. as is scaling or moving the image... a pet peeve. :)

Usually results in alot more pre-editing of the image to give a scalable, placable background.

j.

Dodgy
10-01-2007, 03:13 AM
Why not make a box with the image on it, then position that and use Autosize in the Backdrop panel?

JeffrySG
10-01-2007, 07:30 AM
Why not make a box with the image on it, then position that and use Autosize in the Backdrop panel?

^can you explain a bit more what you are talking about? do you mean create a box on the image? or a box in modeler? I'm curious to hear.

If it matters, I'm importing architectural plan and elevation views. And I'll be importing different floors as I get to them...

thanks for any help!
J

Dodgy
10-01-2007, 07:42 AM
Make a box in modeler to fit the images to.. It's how I store the images anyway, with one elevation on each face.

JeffrySG
10-01-2007, 07:48 AM
^and are you mapping images to the face? or are you using the 'backdrop' feature?

thx...

archijam
10-01-2007, 08:26 AM
Not a bad option .. now for the nxt trick - how do I lock it (make it unselectable) ... :/

j.

Dodgy
10-01-2007, 10:30 AM
You basically create the box as a template, just to add the backdrop images to, so you could add it in another layer. Give each direction a different surface and apply each image to its corresponding surface. Add the images to their respective backgrounds, and use the Autosize function to match it to the box.

JeffrySG
10-01-2007, 10:00 PM
You basically create the box as a template, just to add the backdrop images to, so you could add it in another layer. Give each direction a different surface and apply each image to its corresponding surface. Add the images to their respective backgrounds, and use the Autosize function to match it to the box.
OK, I'll have to give that a try. thx!
When load my cfg files for my backdrops they do load correctly, so I'll at least have two options now.

4dartist
10-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Not a bad option .. now for the nxt trick - how do I lock it (make it unselectable) ... :/

j.

I always thought a reference layer in modeler that still showed texture information but wasn't selectable would be a nice feature. Or just the ability to lock a layer as visible but unselectable, so that you can change your layer selections without having to shift select a new foreground layer and then unshift select the old foreground layer because your background layer is layer 30 and you don't want to have to scroll/page to it to reselect it as a background layer again. (if that makes any sense)

JeffrySG
10-04-2007, 04:13 PM
^seems like a little update to the layer panel :devil: - one that added things like the ability to lock a layer, and maybe independently control the display mode of a layer would take care of this and even more... I'll have to send in a feature request for this... :)