PDA

View Full Version : Convert Skelegons problem

Nangleator
09-29-2007, 10:35 AM
I've got a little trick that's very useful for medical animations, but just recently, it stopped working.

Trick:

1. Create a tube in Modeler.
2. Create a curve that will function as a path for the tube to follow.
3. Use Convert Skelegons in modeler to turn that curve into a bone chain.
4. Create a morph for the tube so it moves foreward (so it will flow along the bones.)
5. In Layout, convert the bones and set all their rest rotations to zero.
6. Set the bones to use morphed positions.
7. Animate the morph of the tube over time. Tube follows bone chain perfectly.

But now it's not working. The change wasn't related to an upgrade, it happened during a long project in which it started out working just fine.

What happens now: Bones convert from skelegons without the one-under-the-next heirarchy. And if I bother manually putting these bones in the correct heirarchy, my tube flows along a few of the bones, then curves and loops off in a wrong direction, like the bones aren't working any more.

I know this technique. I've used it for years. There's no reason it shouldn't work any more. Imagine being a carpenter whose hammer no longer put nails into wood, but just made the planks jump 3 feet to the left. Or turn blue, or something. Frustrating.

PixelFarmer
09-30-2007, 09:20 PM
I've discovered the same problem. So far, I've found that it doesn't happen if your object w/the skelegons is the only object in the scene. So load it into a scene, convert to skelegons, then use load from scene to import into another scene. This should be reported as a bug.

Nangleator
09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
You saved me. Thank you!

So the only way the heirarchy from skelegons comes in is if it's the only object in the scene?

It's too bad trying to import an object from another scene always crashes Layout now, but I was able to put all my objects into object layers to load up everything I needed into my scene in one go.

Workarounds... What would we do without them?

Thanks again!

PixelFarmer
10-01-2007, 12:30 AM
Well, its not ALWAYS, because sometime convert skelegons works properly w/multiple objects in the scene. I'm suspicious that it fails when there is already an object w/bones in the scene, but I'm going to spend a week trying all the possibilities.

Load from scene failing is a nightmare if you need this workaround. So far it hasn't failed for me. So you put all the objects w/sgons into one model and convert them all at one time? Or does it work correctly if you convert them one at a time after loading the object?

Workarounds are good to know, but it seems to me that the frequency of needing them is increasing...
Sheesh, and I thought I was working late!

Dodgy
10-01-2007, 03:24 AM
So far I haven't come across this problem and I use multiple bones characters all the time. Are you sure the skelegons are welded together?

Nangleator
10-02-2007, 10:54 AM
I made a curve, I converted it to skelegons, I converted skelegons to bones. Very simple. The skelegons were welded.

I rebuilt these objects from scratch more than once to test. It always happened to me until I tried a scene with just one object file.