PDA

View Full Version : Screensavers for graphics types...

starbase1
09-29-2007, 02:57 AM
Hi All,
Small beer to some of you I guess, but I have just upgraded to a 22" monitor, and it feels like I have a whole new computer!

I was wondering though, what screensavers do other 3d types use? I know they can get old fast, but whenever I have an upgrade in screen or graphics card, I tend to look for something nice to show it off.

There's loads of good free ones here:
http://www.reallyslick.com/

What I would really like is one here I could feed some of my lightwave objects in, and watch them gently tumble around on screen...

Nick

IMI
09-29-2007, 05:21 AM
I just use the Windows "3D Text" screensaver, set to display the time, and have it enabled on only one monitor. Nothing fancy, but it doesn't interrupt processes like if I have a LW scene rendering, or scanning or defragging, or any number of other processes.
I usually have this computer doing something or other when I'm not actually using it, and some of those fancier ones can cause it to lock up when trying to get back in if the CPU is still chugging away at something.

My other machines use the 3D Pipes and some 3D aquarium screensaver I bought.

If you want to make your own, if you Google "screensaver makers", there are a few freebies that pop up, and of course, there are professional screensaver making programs out there.

IMI
09-29-2007, 05:23 AM
Oh also, beware of downloading free screensavers. They're frequently used for embedding trojans and spyware.

starbase1
09-29-2007, 05:56 AM
Oh also, beware of downloading free screensavers. They're frequently used for embedding trojans and spyware.

Yep, that's one reason I was asking here.

I have looked at screen saver makers in the past, but they he only ones I found were severely constrained in what they could do... Hence my request for one that would show off lightwave objects.

Nick

IMI
09-29-2007, 06:37 AM
I have one somewhere here. Since this morning when I read your post I've been looking for it. I can't for the life of me remember what it was called, but I bought it around 4 years ago. I used it for a couple of months, then got bored with it.
If I find it, I'll let you know. It was pretty good from what I remember - you could make virtually anything into a .scr file, including avi files, plus it had several templates you could use.

Yeah, I remember when I first moved up from a 17" monitor to a 19". It was great!
Not nearly as cool though as when I added a second 19" monitor and got a vid card that could handle it. :D

brian.coates
09-29-2007, 09:32 AM
I don't use screensavers, I just have my TFTs go into power save mode after an hour of inactivity.
Same here, although I have an LCD and I'm a bit more frugal: 10 minutes of inactivity.

starbase1
09-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Sigh....

I was actually asking for recommendations for GOOD screen savers, rather than asking how long it was before people did NOT start one!

:screwy: :bangwall: :question: :compbeati :twak: :offtopic: :p

Signal to Noise
09-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I haven't tried it yet but it was included on this or last month's Maximum PC magazine's CD. It's touted as being the 'only screen saver you'll ever need'.

Electric Sheep (http://www.electricsheep.org/index.cgi?&menu=about)

BeeVee
10-01-2007, 02:13 AM
Ooh ooh! I agree on Electric Sheep! It is *marvellous* and unique to your machine (after a few evolutions). It takes ages to get the first pattern, but after that they come smoothly. I have it on five different machines... :D

B