PDA

View Full Version : Why is the text still not right?

Morbius
09-28-2007, 05:26 PM
I don't understand why the text in LW on the Mac is still being cropped and not aligned. It's almost as if LW was an app from a foreign country and all the text was just translated to English and not fixed for cropping.

I have old LW 6 and was thinking of upgrading and tried the Discovery version of 9.3 to see how it ran and saw a lot of the text being cropped etc.

This should have been dealt with a while ago, but I remember it back in the first few Mac versions of LW.

Come on Newtek!

Chilton
09-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Hi,

Where specifically are you talking about? In the UI, or in objects you create in Modeler?

-Chilton

Morbius
09-29-2007, 02:02 PM
Thanks for looking at this, Chilton. I know it's not a "critical" aspect of the application, but it is a bit annoying. Especially when the shortcuts are cropped off. Granted it could be my machine or settings.

I took a couple of screens and marked some of the areas.

09-29-2007, 03:49 PM
I buy the 9 vercion and upgrade to 9.3 on a mac an run without that problem for the moment.

Chilton
09-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Hi Morbius,

Wow. That's not right at all.

Let's see, do you have any UI appearance changers installed? Anything that might change the font lengths under the hood?

-Chilton

Morbius
09-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Morbius,

Wow. That's not right at all.

Let's see, do you have any UI appearance changers installed? Anything that might change the font lengths under the hood?

-Chilton

Well that's a clean install of LW 9.3 (running in discovery mode)

I don't have any UI add-ons running on my Mac (that I'm aware of). I don't even know of any, actually. I'm running a dual display setup at 1280x1024(each) if that helps any.

Chilton
09-29-2007, 08:13 PM
Have you installed additional fonts on this machine, or is this with the standard MacOS font set?

To our other users: has anyone else seen this problem?

-Chilton

Morbius
09-29-2007, 09:28 PM
Have you installed additional fonts on this machine, or is this with the standard MacOS font set?

To our other users: has anyone else seen this problem?

-Chilton

I have a ton of fonts. I would assume, though, that LW would still use the same font all the time. Unless I've written over it, but I doubt I've done that.

Which font is it? Which library is it reading from?

JeffrySG
09-29-2007, 09:29 PM
They look fine to me (9.3UB) but, there are some areas where I would think that the text should align right-justified and it doesn't align accurately (see red line)...

Jeff

Chilton
09-29-2007, 10:21 PM
Hi,

I have a ton of fonts. I would assume, though, that LW would still use the same font all the time. Unless I've written over it, but I doubt I've done that.

Which font is it? Which library is it reading from?

That's the thing--that font *should* be Lucida Grande. So... I'm not sure what has happened there.

-Chilton

Morbius
09-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Hi,

That's the thing--that font *should* be Lucida Grande. So... I'm not sure what has happened there.

-Chilton

Okay, sounds like we're getting somewhere.

I did a computer wide search and found a LucidaGrande.dfont file in the system-library-fonts folder. I copied that and put it in the root lidrary-fonts and in my user library-fonts.

I'm not sure that's even the right one, but it didn't seem to change anything. I'm certainly not about to do a system re-install just for this.

Can you think of anything else, or am I pretty mush stuck with this?

Chilton
09-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Well, just moving that font should probably not change anything, but I'd suspect nothing would change until you log out and log back in.

However, I don't really suggest you move that font. I think this must be something else. Does this happen if you launch LW off the disk image directly, instead of from the Applications folder?

-Chilton

Morbius
09-29-2007, 11:31 PM
Well, just moving that font should probably not change anything, but I'd suspect nothing would change until you log out and log back in.

However, I don't really suggest you move that font. I think this must be something else. Does this happen if you launch LW off the disk image directly, instead of from the Applications folder?

-Chilton

I didn't move it, just copied it because I wasn't sure which font folder it was looking in.

I launched Layout from the mounted dmg image and it was exactly the same. :oye:

Chilton
09-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Do you see this only in Layout, or does it happen in Modeler as well?

(FWIW, I have an almost identical machine, so I know it should work :( )

-Chilton

Morbius
09-30-2007, 01:02 AM
It happens in both, just as I showed in the 2 screens I posted above.

I suppose there might be too many factors to account for. It also seems that I'm the only one having this strange issue. It doesn't affect LW from working.

It might very well just be some strange conflict with some other installed program that I have. I really have no idea.

Would be nice to figure out, though.

Chilton
09-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Well, apps shouldn't affect each other like this. I suspect it's a font issue, though I really don't quite get how that could be it, either. I'd like to figure it out, too.

Our users often find that deleting the prefs fixes things. Let's try that, or at least rename them. They can be found in ~/Library/Preferences/

There's a folder named 'LightWave3D' in there. Quit LW first, then rename that folder, and relaunch LW. See if that fixes it.

-Chilton

Morbius
09-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Alright, Well I did a search and found a Lightwave 3D folder in my user-library-preferences folder. I renamed that.

I launched layout and saw that it made a new preference folder, but there was no change.

You probably think I'm pulling your leg at this point. ><

gatz
09-30-2007, 04:52 PM
If you have a "ton" of fonts you should really be using Suitcase. I routinely have fonts issues even with Suitcase looking for conflicts (fonts with different names but the same IDs). With Suitcase you can easily toggle fonts on and off as needed. Also conflicting fonts can sometimes damage your fonts cache. Flushing these with FontDoctor or Onxy is sometimes necessary.

rg

zapper1998
09-30-2007, 05:34 PM
It might be that you are running LW in Discovery Mode???

Morbius
09-30-2007, 06:09 PM
If you have a "ton" of fonts you should really be using Suitcase. I routinely have fonts issues even with Suitcase looking for conflicts (fonts with different names but the same IDs). With Suitcase you can easily toggle fonts on and off as needed. Also conflicting fonts can sometimes damage your fonts cache. Flushing these with FontDoctor or Onxy is sometimes necessary.

rg

Well depends on if 313 is a ton. It's a lot to me, but it doesn't slow the machine or anything. I don't have any conflicts that I've ever noticed, and I'm a graphic designer so I use them daily.

It might be that you are running LW in Discovery Mode???

I guess that could be true, but seems a little odd for the text to shift just because the save functions are locked. I guess it's not impossible though. (shrug)

Chilton
09-30-2007, 07:34 PM
Hi,

Discovery mode shouldn't change it, that's what I took my screenshots in.

-Chilton

Chilton
09-30-2007, 07:38 PM
Pulling my leg? Nah, I'm sure this is a legitimate issue. I've seen weirder bugs...

During beta testing, one bug came in where the contents of a window, not the window itself, were invisible. Of course, this was completely unreproducible on anything but that user's machine. It turned out to be an issue with another product, which has been fixed both at the source (the other product) and LightWave. But for awhile there, I really didn't know what to make of it ;)

-Chilton

eblu
10-02-2007, 11:27 AM
the fonts are a cascading system. the machine has a font directory, the system has one, the user has one... and the machine loads them all as if they were all in one folder, for the user. if you have them in Twice, the system "should" load both. just copying them to another font directory will not help.

the "dfont" means to me that Lucida Grande is a System font (comes w/ mac os) so you should Try to eliminate all but one copy of Lucida Grande.
the correct font appears to be called: LuciaGrande.dfont and it lives in :
Harddrive/System/Library/Fonts

Move all of the other copies you find in your cascading font hierarchy somewhere else.

the possible Other locations of your Font directories:
/Library/Fonts
/Users/you/Library/Fonts
(the next one is possible but unlikely)
/Users/Shared/Library/Fonts

get yourself down to One Version of the LucidaGrande, REBOOT. (when font's are concerned be sure, reboot)
keep the old guys because right now you don't know if any one of them is the proper font, or if... its a LW bug. You may need to try all of the copies you have lying around.

Morbius
10-16-2007, 07:09 PM
I only had one copy. I copied it to the other directories in case LW couldn't find it.

When I first noticed the problem I only had the one copy of the font.

Morbius
10-23-2007, 04:38 PM
the fonts are a cascading system. the machine has a font directory, the system has one, the user has one... and the machine loads them all as if they were all in one folder, for the user. if you have them in Twice, the system "should" load both. just copying them to another font directory will not help.

the "dfont" means to me that Lucida Grande is a System font (comes w/ mac os) so you should Try to eliminate all but one copy of Lucida Grande.
the correct font appears to be called: LuciaGrande.dfont and it lives in :
Harddrive/System/Library/Fonts

Move all of the other copies you find in your cascading font hierarchy somewhere else.

the possible Other locations of your Font directories:
/Library/Fonts
/Users/you/Library/Fonts
(the next one is possible but unlikely)
/Users/Shared/Library/Fonts

get yourself down to One Version of the LucidaGrande, REBOOT. (when font's are concerned be sure, reboot)
keep the old guys because right now you don't know if any one of them is the proper font, or if... its a LW bug. You may need to try all of the copies you have lying around.

Well I've done that. Removed all the copies and now when I search for LucidaGrande I find one in /System/Library/Fonts

I still have the errors just like I posted in my screen-shots. Nothing has changed.

Any other ideas?

R2D2
03-13-2008, 10:11 AM
I'm pulling this thread back from the grave. I'm having this problem too. :)

Any new developments since last October?

Thanks,
R2

Steph
03-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Hi every one

I've just upgrade my Mac to Mac Intel and Lightwave to UB and ...
same problem with the font here too.

Any news ?!!

Thanks

Chilton
03-17-2008, 08:07 AM
It's an addressable problem in 9.5.

-Chilton

Steph
03-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the quick answer.

R2D2
03-18-2008, 08:42 AM
Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but what does "It's an addressable problem in 9.5." mean? It kind of sounds like it's something that could be fixed in 9.5, but might not be. :)

Thanks,
R2

Big Picture
03-18-2008, 08:45 AM
For the record, I am also seeing this problem in both Layout and Modeler. It's the same as Morbius describes it. The font looks different and hangs out of the dialogue boxes. It has since 9.3 beta.

Chilton
03-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi R2D2, if that is your real name

Don't mean to sound like a jerk, but what does "It's an addressable problem in 9.5." mean? It kind of sounds like it's something that could be fixed in 9.5, but might not be. :)

Generally speaking, I am verbose. When I am not, I am either doing something else (which was the case here), or I'm hiding some dark, terrible secret (which I might also have been doing).

In this case, I didn't know for sure if this was fixed or not, because we have changed a few things that interact with fonts. Also, I can't reproduce it here on any of my Macs (and I just tried it again to make sure). Not all of our users are experiencing this. In fact, I suspect most of our users are not seeing it at all.

SO...

Any chance those of you with these problems could post your system specs, and anything you personally suspect might affect this?

Thank you!
-Chilton