PDA

View Full Version : Going for the upgrade, but...



fineartist
09-27-2007, 07:39 AM
A couple quick questions...
I have seen some postings of frustrated users these last couple weeks, and wonder should I just wait til the beta testing is done. I haven't had a chance to use my lightwave in awhile so it's almost like starting over from scratch. With that, if I wait til the beta is thru, I can learn again without the need for the advanced knowledge most people have to diagonois their problems. I bought a new imac intel dual core 2.4 and 8.5 really, REALLY works good and in some strange way is rendering faster than some of the scenes others are testing their setups with (I'm sure I somehow don't have all the setting on or something) but the complaints I hear have me kind of wait and see attitude (Expecially the plugin situation..) Go for it now or wait?

Also, is there any offer that will be coming down the pipe for mac users? Speededit looks great, but it's only windows based, and there is no way in heck am I loading windows on my machine. I work with windows computers at work and want to put my head thru the moniter half the time. I want lightwave and the offer is the extra gravy on top, but I just like a different choice of gravy...

BeeVee
09-27-2007, 08:40 AM
The beta is finished for 9.3 and the Universal version. It ended 16 August this year.

B

eblu
09-27-2007, 09:35 AM
LOL!
hi fineartist. I have to ask, was that satire when you asked if you should wait till the beta period was over?

fineartist
09-27-2007, 11:09 AM
yes, it was tongue in cheek in a way....I know the beta is done, but is it? It just sounds like so many people are posting complaints for the mac (on the pc side some people are saying it's rock solid) so, yes, I do know the beta is done but it sounds like there is still problems ( to the extent of reverting back to 9.2, for example...) that maybe newtek should have kept the mac version in beta?
I don't have a pie in the sky attitude that things will be perfect, but is there a feeling out there that it's much more benificial to jump in and work with 9.3 and what is there and what is still buggy, don't worry, it will be taken care of soon?
Newtek has been EXTREMELY generous to me in many ways, so they have a lifer with me, but it's hard to thin out the people who just like to complain from those who have issues, but their sky isn't falling.
Soooo, now or later?

eblu
09-27-2007, 12:11 PM
hm...
I'm of the mind that Lightwave is really really broken. There are things that just don't work, plugins that are missing/not coming to the UB, Problems that have been basically grandfathered, and gotchas that were known during the beta but never fixed for the release.

But having said that, I use the 9.3 release, and I have no intentions of going backward. The reasons are simple: its More stable than 9.2 despite the numerous problems, its faster, its mildly easier to manage (config locations for instance), and Screamernet has seen a tremendous and valuable upgrade.

I'm impatient, sure. But mostly I'm impatient because Lightwave is finally beginning to show some promise after being a dead weight in my toolbox for so long.

Go now. if you've got an intel mac, you're wasting your time with 9.2, just don't expect any of your plugins to work.

fineartist
09-27-2007, 03:34 PM
Thanks for the info so far. I should clarify, I have 8.5 right now, and it seems to be doing good, is the water safe enough to go for the upgrade to 9.x? And thanks to everyone on these forums that have helped me in the past both directly and indirectly, your opinions hold great weight with me

eblu
09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
yeah. upgrade.
heck, you can have both 8.5 and 9.3 installed at the same time, just in case something works on 8.5 and not 9.3, they don't share resources.

8.5 -> 9 is a big deal. 8.5 -> 9.3 far and away better.
LW always has quirks, and moving to the UB has unearthed quite a few new/old quirks, but the speed is far superior on an intel mac.

particledecay
10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
I'm still on 9.0. I rely on FBX and DTS exporters for my workflow neither of which work with 9.3 atm.