PDA

View Full Version : Crop Tracking

NVentive
09-26-2007, 06:20 PM
Anybody know an easy trick for tracking the crop in a P.I.P.? We've got some long stretches where we need to keep a presenter in a fairly tight box on top of a P. Point slide. Easy enough, until she starts wobbling. We've done the usual cutaway tricks and all that, but when those won't work we have to we adjust the l&r crops by hand in conjunction with the X position. Is there some simple trick for this?

Thanks -S

Ivan
09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
It's a long shot but try the Motion Removal tool in Tool Shed.

Ivan

williamb
09-30-2007, 01:22 AM
Wow...i finally get to offer some advise rather than receiving it all the time!

This is easy...if you’re working in SE then
1-Go into Control Tree
2-Click on cropping
3-Click in the box causing an 'X' to appear in the left side box beside what side you want to crop (e.g. Crop Left)
4-Ensure on the right panel you have 'Spines' Selected'
5-Scroll along the timeline within spines and press 'N' to put a node on the line.
6-Scroll along further where you want your cropping to end and Press 'N' to create another node.
7-Adjust the nodes either up or down to get the desired cropping...then scroll to the beginning and play.
Each cropping selection (e.g. Crop%, Crop Left, Crop right etc) can individually be altered to give you awesome cropping abilities...thanks Newtek!

I hope this helps you

williamb
09-30-2007, 01:26 AM
O.k. I read your question too quickly!
The overlay video clip you are cropping, ensure it is selected as an overlay...(tick overlay box at bottom left of SE
I have just tried...works great...

I hope i understood your question correctly?

Jim_C
09-30-2007, 02:07 AM
He's asking how to keep a square crop when a subject moves.

Of which the only answer is .... math.....

Fun stuff eh Stephen?

Jim

Rich Deustachio
09-30-2007, 10:25 AM
Hmmmm if we only had something that could do complex math equations.......where did I put my slide rule and my Commadore 64.

chuckd
10-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Easy enough, until she starts wobbling.

What do you mean by "wobbling"? Do you mean camera shake? Or is the subject moving on her own in some way?

williamb
10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
I have a theory that’s so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a Weasel! (Black Adder)

OK…assuming I understand your question correctly and that you don’t have Aura or Mirage because if you did you could Pixel Track.

1. Put full size video clip of the footage you intend to crop on timeline…
2. Using the position function in ‘Control Tree’ move the picture so that the main speaker is in the middle of the screen.
3. When the subject moves too much, simply move the position of the video clip and key framing through the duration keeping the subject in the middle
4. When this is done, render the video clip no you should have a picture that going all over the place, but the subject should be in the middle.
5. Now crop accordingly the new rendered clip and position for overlay.

Or re-shoot it! (grin)

SBowie
10-02-2007, 08:39 AM
5. Now crop accordingly the new rendered clip and position for overlay.I think that may be the trickiest bit - animating the crop smoothly could be a real headache - so I have a different suggestion for this part. Don't crop it at all.

Instead, create a graphic the appropriate project size, fill it with black (or blue or green if you want to key the result later), and cut a hole in it to let the talent show through in the fixed position. No fuss with cropping this way, and if you need to, you can render the result and key out the filled portion.

NVentive
10-02-2007, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions -- the rigid box was an especially insightful.
By 'wobbeling,' btw, I mean the presenter is shifting her weight from one side to the other, 'swaying in the breeze' so to speak.
My approach so far is to use points in the image for reference, then crop and move as I go. If I time it well with what the presenter is doing, the move does not show up at all, other than an increase in shoulder pain at the end of the day.
I was hoping that maybe I had missed a shortcut somewhere, such as a 'hold down this key and drag that point and all will move with you' kind of thing.
My wife's approach is a little more direct -- "Quit doing so many fricken' PIP's on this job!" She always has tended to cut to the heart of a matter.....
Thanks to all -S