PDA

View Full Version : LW 8.5 freezes on second boolean

Bangalow
09-26-2007, 04:03 PM
I'm having a problem performing a second boolean subtract on a simple closed object (planes - inside and outside of a computer tower).

I broke the task in two thinking the computer was hanging due to the number of holes I wanted to subtract. The screencapture shows the lower boolean success with the upper holes which cannot be booleaned.

I have even removed the inside polygon of the computer tower (as it really isn't needed) and did the whole thing from scratch - boolean with all the holes subtracted - and Lightwave hung again (LW not responding).

I have gone into Statistics to clean up the geometry thinking this may have been responsible.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

All help greatly appreciated.:) :)

zapper1998
09-26-2007, 04:17 PM
did you merge after the first Boolean [ m ] key??

That will happen after a boolean, merge points, then you can do the next Boolean..

Bangalow
09-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the tip Zapper.

I merged points and at this stage it is still crashing. It won't let me complete the boolean for all of the holes, but doesn't mind doing the half the job on two separate polys. (I have tried to cut these two polys and connect these but the knife won't have a bar of it).

Surrealist.
09-26-2007, 05:16 PM
First take the geometry and cut it, then Boolean each one separately and then patch them together.

Alternatively you could simply create one then copy it, move it up and then connect it.

Bangalow
09-26-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks Surrealist,

That makes things clearer for me. I was taking the whole geometry and doing separate booleans but not able to cut them up (knife caused modeller to crash).

So you are saying cut the geometry first and then boolean each separate polygon?

Bangalow
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
Thanks you SO much Surrealist and Zapper.

Many hours of trying work arounds - ended.
Now I can get back to the modelling.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!:) :) :) :)

Surrealist.
09-27-2007, 11:42 AM
Glad to hear it.

Happy modeling. :)