PDA

View Full Version : Can Lightwave 7.5 import a Maya model?

Tom Freeman
09-26-2007, 08:44 AM
Can Lightwave 7.5 import a Maya model?

Hi a friend of mine is working on a project envolving the Heavenly Sword for Sony's new game for the PS3. Currently the model they provided to was done with Maya. Unfortunetly I dont own a copy of Maya. Is it possible to import this model into Lightwave? Or is their a plugin I will need to make this possible or a conversion tool that will convert it to a light wave object or scene?

Red_Oddity
09-26-2007, 07:02 PM
Nope, the problem is the same as getting a .max file, these files can contain mesh data with a modifier/history stack that needs the software to generate the final model.

So without an export from within Maya to an OBJ or a LWO file (via Point Oven), your out of luck.

ShawnStovall
09-26-2007, 08:28 PM
These types of incidents makes you wonder why no one has standardized a neutral 3D file type. What I'm talking about is one that every 3D package must include in its export options and would default load it as well as its own type. This would greatly cut down on these types of situations...

IMI
09-27-2007, 01:53 AM
These types of incidents makes you wonder why no one has standardized a neutral 3D file type. What I'm talking about is one that every 3D package must include in its export options and would default load it as well as its own type. This would greatly cut down on these types of situations...

The problem with that, as is mentioned above by Red Oddity, is that it's proprietary information contained within the maya or max file. Right Hemisphere's Deep Exploration, for example, can load a .max file and convert it to a .obj file, or a .lwo file, or 3ds or a whole lot of other formats including UV maps and textures, but only if you have max installed on your system. Don't know about maya files.

I thought that's what FBX was supposed to be for, but I really don't know much about it.

But, OBJ is about the closest I know of to a universal file format. It includes UV data (as long as it's all one map), and texture data in the form of a .mtl file. I can't think of any 3D programs that won't import/export OBJ files.
Any materials on the model would have to be textures, as opposed to procedurals, though, or LW wouldn't be able to reproduce them.
Still though, OBJ is a good option, when a direct conversion to LWO isn't possible.

erikals
09-30-2007, 06:26 AM
In this case I'd simply just export an .obj file from Maya and load it in LW. Shouldn't be a problem, the UV's will be preserved.

RedBull
09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
If the object is .MA it's usually quite easy to get it into LW, if it's .MB than no..

There are plenty of utils and programs that can convert them.
Modo 201 used to read/write .lwo, .ma and .obj, so you could use the demo of that to do it. (although 301 cannot do it) (Not sure but Blender could likely do .MA to .LWO)

You could also get the author or someone with Maya to export to Obj or FBX, as mentioned.

Red_Oddity
10-01-2007, 02:44 AM
Even with Modo you'll run into trouble when the .MA file contains a history that modifies the geometry.

The best thing to do is to either ask the person who made the model to make sure the history has been deleted when writing a .MA file or just export an .OBJ file.

Tom Freeman
10-02-2007, 03:02 PM
thanks I will look into your suggestions..