PDA

View Full Version : 12" G4 powerbook for LW

archiea
06-27-2003, 03:26 PM
I know i have asked this before, but I'd like a second opinion.....

Anybody using LW on the 12" G4 pwerbook? Especially if you also have a desktop mac to compare it with. How usable is LW on it with OS-X and LW cuking bandwidth from the humble GPU?

Thanks in advance....

noiseboy
06-27-2003, 04:16 PM
Yep, over here, I'll hold my hand up to running LW on a 12" powerbook, what can I say, I've maxed out the RAM at 640Meg and can use LW within this, nobody would expect great things given the constraints of a 32M video card etc but it does work. The size of the screen encourages you to use even more keyboard shortcuts. one of the frustrating things is the use of the Function keys for screen contrast,sound etc, gets in the way of opening the surface panel etc ( I know I could remap them but then I'd have too remember two sets, one laptop, one desktop). One advantage to working on the 12" g4 is that during the cold winter nights it will keep your hands worm, oh and its alot quieter than a desktop.

Beamtracer
06-27-2003, 05:55 PM
Arthur, I thought you'd have a 17 inch one.

archiea
06-27-2003, 06:03 PM
Yes, I do have a 17 inch "one".

As far as powerbooks, I have the old wallstreet series 2. Great machine, bad graphics chip. Its pretty much useless for anything in OSX. OS-X runs like an application on it instead of an OS. I can only imagine the demands of pather on it. I used to be able to run FCP in OS 9 on it. Now I can't in X.

How is the 12" powerbook with DV by the way?

thanks for the comments.....

Paul Goodrich
06-27-2003, 10:52 PM
Have one, love it. I use it along with my G4 933 desktop and the speed is not that different on it.
The screen size is an issue, but I like to use keyboard shortcuts anyway. The graph editor and Motion Mixer eat the whole screen. I also use FCP and DVD Studio pro on it as well. I did color correction and DVD authoring recently on it and it worked great. I got a dual 2 gig G5 on order as well so I'll be so spoiled on that that I no doubt not be able to stand working on anything else. I bought the 12" because I wanted a portable that was PORTABLE. When I fly I have enought room to use my wireless mouse and computer on the tiny tray tables that you get.
Paul Goodrich