PDA

View Full Version : Multiple layout windows stabilty

meathead
09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
LW allows rendering multiple scenes at the same time, but I would imagine that is not recommended.
I am currently building a scene in layout, rendering a scene in another layout window, and running a few other-low powered- applications like firefox (love my internet radio), internet explorer, quicktime movie (for reference), and modeler, at the same time.

Is this bad? Unstable?

I noticed the scene I am building keeps shutting down, which is fine, a bit annoying, but fine as long as the other window's render continues.

I imagine many of us have one or two, maybe three computers in a home office setting, meaning, sometimes we have to work on a currently rendering systems.

Do you guys just leave the rendering machine alone at all cost?
Avoid working on scenes with similar objects/surfaces as the rendering scene?
Partion the threading if you have multiple processors?

Seems like there would be many things to avoid, and many things to consider.

Bog
09-25-2007, 11:14 AM
Woof. Erm, I'd be very sure that you're running your multiple Layouts with the -0 flag set - I expect the hub would have conniptions otherwise.

I'm a terror for having too much stuff running - AE, LightWave, paint packages, web-browsers, Thunderbird, Skype, Trillian.... and it does make things less stable and much slower. In my experience, anyway. I keep suddenly waking up to the bulging taskbar spilling over my desk and have a spasm of program-closing when I realise.

iconoclasty
09-26-2007, 09:06 AM
I occasionally run multiple LW processes and it generally runs fine.
So long as your system is beefy enough, LW should handle itself pretty well. Except for internet explorer. Whey the heck are you running that piece of slag?

meathead
09-26-2007, 10:45 AM
I occasionally run multiple LW processes and it generally runs fine. So long as your system is beefy enough, LW should handle itself pretty well. Except for internet explorer. Whey the heck are you running that piece of slag?

You work in layout as you render another scene in layout?
Ever render two different scenes at the same time, on one system? (heheh, 2on one, isn't that always the dream?)

You're right Bog, my hub has been running pretty shaky while doing this.

Unfortunately, some web pages only work correctly in IE, sometimes you have to use it.

moc
09-26-2007, 11:30 AM
I always do like that.
When layout rendering,I open IE/firefox to find somthing or drawing something at adobe illustrator/flash...
But never Quicktime movie because it's eating too much resource..

iconoclasty
09-26-2007, 01:56 PM
Yes, I've rendered two scenes simultaneously. It certainly doesn't seem ideal, but it has always worked out fine for me.