PDA

View Full Version : VT2 locks out CardDeluxe audio card?

Tom Wood
06-27-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi All,

I'm having trouble getting my new system to play together. I have the VT2 card and a Digital Audio Labs (DAL) CardDeluxe audio card:

http://www.digitalaudio.com/

When I open WAVELAB, it says there is a problem with the DAL card, but all other diagnostics performed with the help of DAL tech support indicate that the card is working. At one point we tried changing the clock sync, and the error message said that the clock can't be changed during a recording, even when NO recording or any other software is active. This indicates that another program is grabbing the card, even when nothing is loaded.

I've installed the DAL driver several times and nothing works. However, when I tried WAVELAB without the DAL driver installed, the system defaulted to the VT2 audio inputs. I'm wondering if there is a setting in VT2 that I need to make to get it to leave the DAL card alone. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Tom

mrjaialai
06-27-2003, 09:53 PM
You should not use another sound board with the toaster. Any other sound boards should be disabled for the toaster to function properly. Sorry.

Tom Wood
07-03-2003, 08:16 PM
Thanks mrjaialai,

I didn't want to believe it, but it appears you are correct. However, I did a search of the archives on "audio" and it appears that at least some people have used the LynxOne. But then others, like you, say that there is no support for third party sound cards. But then Paul says his Soundblaster lives with Toaster just fine. So now I'm more confuzzled. A LynxL22 is still a contender, but I don't want to buy a $650 non-returnable item just to find it won't work with T2-3.

At present, I am considering moving all the audio capture to a second PC so I can use the third party card. It has +19 dBu total headroom, 1/4" balanced TRS connectors, 24 bit-depth, and other specs that make me want to use it. Since I'm only doing animation, I don't need sync, except what I create in TED.

And, just to be certain, the 1/8" stereo miniplug out of the Toaster card is UNbalanced, right? Adding a second PC sure complicates the wiring diagram. The DSR-11 DVCAM tape deck takes RCA plugs, and I found an adapter cable for that. But all my other equipment (bought before this came up) takes 1/4" TRS plugs.

And now I can't connect both the Toaster card and the DAL card to the headphone amp at the same time because it only has one set of inputs. Y-connectors? Ewww... Plug and play you say? Ah well, if I didn't want to have this much fun I woulda bought an Apple!

TW

SBowie
07-04-2003, 12:25 PM
When people say things like 'there is no support for a second (or 'outboard') audio card in the Toaster, they generally mean that there is no direct support internally in the Toaster software suite. That is to say, you cannot assign a different audio source to be used for A/V capture inside the Toaster[x] environment.

This is not to say that a second card can't be mounted and used on the same system. Many do this, with varying success. It's not unusual for there to be the occasional glitches (temporary loss of i/o, for example) when using both simultaneously or switching back and forth, but it's a relatively painless thing. I've been running Windows sounds out through the sound circuitry built into my SuperMicro motherboard on the last three (dual-Xeon) systems I owned with no adverse effects.

Re: the Lynx comments you may have read. Back in the version one days, the Lynx was popular with the VTNT crowd since it could be locked to the clock rate of the Toaster, and hence performed very well with Speed Razor. Doubtless some still use it this way.

Tom Wood
07-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SBowie
I've been running Windows sounds out through the sound circuitry built into my SuperMicro motherboard on the last three (dual-Xeon) systems I owned with no adverse effects.

I think that's the common factor to the success stories, using the onboard sound system thru Windows. Which is still no help, because I want to take advantage of the third party audio card's higher performance specs.

Thanks for the extra info Steve,

TW

SBowie
07-04-2003, 09:17 PM
I don't see any reason you can't use it to record your audio, Tom - just not from within the toaster desktop environment.

Tom Wood
07-04-2003, 09:44 PM
But that's the whole problem. Even without Toaster loaded at all (but the Toaster card installed) the DAL audio card is getting tied up by something. I'm using WAVELAB to record into, and it reports that it can't access the DAL card, again even without Toaster loaded and with XP acknowledging that the DAL card is the preferred audio device. I've spent a lot of time on the phone with the DAL card's tech support and they say there is something about the system that is grabbing the card.

It won't play the system sounds until I actually shut down Windows, then it plays the shut down sound, but with the first section cut off, like it is being released from some other application. Also, the TED mixer disappears with the DAL card installed, so there's a real conflict. I'd rather let Toaster have its space rather than risk ongoing erratic behavior. I think we're going to set up the audio PC as a render node for Lightwave too, so it's lemonade.

TW

SBowie
07-05-2003, 05:55 AM
Well, that would likely be best, then Tom. It does not seem from your comments that your trouble is particularly related to the fact that there is a Toaster in the system, so let's hope it behaves in a standalone...

weaponsInspecto
07-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Tom,

I have the same DAL card. I let it live on my "music" machine. It really is best to let the VT system do what it does best and process your audio on a seperate machine. I do love the DAL card though. Sweet performance. And it will run on anything, so you don't need to spend a bundle on a second station.

Cheers

Tom Wood
07-17-2003, 03:11 PM
Thanks weapons,

Couple of quick questions, if I may.

The DAL card doesn't come with a software mixer and they said to use the mic preamp to set the recording level, which will be recorded and monitored in Wavelab. I'll be using the FMR RNP preamp and an AT 3035 microphone to record some voiceovers. Discussions with the FMR people confirm that the DAL card will clip (+19dBu) before the preamp (+28 dBu) so it's a matter of proper settings at the preamp. The preamp has 6dB/step gain stages, no fine control.

Is the record monitor in Wavelab what I'd use to prevent clipping in the DAL card? Am I correct to assume that once I've found the rough settings, that microphone technique (closer or farther) is where I'll do the fine tuning? I'll have a video monitor in the sound booth, so that's not a problem, I'm just curious as to proper technique.

Thanks,

TW