PDA

View Full Version : just an idea, please calm down!

lgolden
09-24-2007, 09:23 PM
Hi guys,

Im a (grumpy) LW user and an entusiastic Blender user! (was a Maya user too, but I live in brazil an personal licenses here are incredible expensive for an individual. Im a registered LW user).

Just bumped at this thread today:

<http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=105959>

and feel very optmistic about and hibrid solution for us LW users: What about a script that converts a whole scene from Blender into a .lws (scene with camera animation), .lwo (objects) and .mdd (baked motion) to lightwave!!!

LW would turn immediatly into a "render studio" for more users (LW has a very nice price). Blender has very nice tools for animation and a nice envimonment to character work. And Blender will get a new event system that will revamps workflow.

I know a lot of us love Blenders fluids, and developing and format for exporting geometry that changes frame by frame would be feasibily.

Developers would add the magnificient layout camera movements (one of my beloved feature in LW) into Blender workflow. Newtek will be very happy for selling more LW boxes for beautiful rendering (or providing a special suite of tools for lightning and shading, without modeler and animation tools). One kind of that product for photoshop (vaporware?).:D

this is just a "insight" Ive put into the forum! dont shoot me!!! :D

Thanks!

Luis

lgolden
09-24-2007, 09:26 PM
I think even Larry will like this idea!!! :D

this will give Lw development team more time to create new things for character animation!

Luis

SplineGod
09-24-2007, 10:43 PM
You can already export most of that from blender to LW. :)

lgolden
09-25-2007, 07:37 PM
Yes Larry, LW needs no work at all... its everything inside the box...:thumbsdow

If I have a scene with one character with, lets say, ten different pieces (shoes, a belt, a hat, etc) is just select one piece of geometry, load the script, export the mdd file and repeat this ten times... Export each object in blender to .lwo...

Go to LW load one .lwo, select mdd_poiter and load its specific MDD file. Repeat this ten times...

Oh! and the camera??? export a .mot file (that will not respect the original camera frame and if you play with camera settings you will run into additional troubles)

What about a blender script that does the whole work and another in the LW side wich loads everything in one step? LW renderer is much better then the Blender internal. But with Blenders new render API and close integration with aqsis (and Pixie), I think Newtek will lost sale of a good number of licenses of its beautiful renderer.

Imagine Blender guys with acess to LW renderer? The very same renderer used in Sin City, 300, etc??? for 895 US$ and 999 render nodes???

Jesus, what a bargain! I bet there is much more market with prefessionals into small studios with are using blender then the market share of Photoshop users wanting to use Newtek Rendition...

This would bring REAL 3D users! more cash, more development for LW!!! :thumbsup:

Peace

Luis

SplineGod
09-25-2007, 07:46 PM
Luis,
Pull your head out. Dont put words into my mouth. Ive never said anything or hinted at anything like that. You want to point out where Ive said that LW needs no work or improvements?
Maybe you should export anything being deformed as a single object and a single mdd file. Why make it harder then necessary?
Also many of those could potentially be metalinked in LW to the main character. Maybe working smarter can help.

lgolden
09-25-2007, 08:14 PM
Yes, im a dumb posting ideas here...

RedBull
09-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Well of course the OP is correct about making NT a more attractive option to Blender users, there really is a market for this, but if NT are too stupid to add a Collada exporter/importer than obviously XSI/Max/Maya users will be the ones to benefit from the Blender boom.

XSI and Blender already work well, then i can use XSI to transfer back to LW, it's only LW that won't play well with others.

Blenders scene files are memory dumps so it makes it hard to make a .lws importer/exporter, but between Collada and FBX, which Blender has recently added and enhanced for exactly the reasons outlined by the OP.
NT would be silly to ignore Collada and Blender.

lgolden
09-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Yes, RedBull!

.blend files are memory dumps indeed! But you can extract vertex order, face order, edges and UVs to create .LWOs, and export all info about motion IPOs and camera and create a .LWS INSIDE blender, and we already cam create MDD files.

Im not talking about loanding a .blend file into LW. the way to go is Blender -> Lightwave. I was thinking about something more similar to XSI pointoven export or Vue Infiniti wich can export a LWS and OBJ to be opened in LW

And Collada is a way to go too! Have you checked Campbell Barton FBX exporter (geometry, materials, bones and animation support)?

I think Blender users will be very happy with an environment for lightning and rendering like LW!

Luis

Andrew March
09-25-2007, 11:30 PM
I think Blender users will be very happy with an environment for lightning and rendering like LW!

Yeah, and we can call it........Lightwave :foreheads

SplineGod
09-26-2007, 12:03 AM
Yes, im a dumb posting ideas here...

I cant help it if youre dumb. Feel free to post your ideas without making it personal ok?

colkai
09-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Yes Larry, LW needs no work at all... its everything inside the box...:thumbsdow
Oh get a grip! :thumbsdow

What Larry actually said was you could export most of the stuff already, which to me, had him AGREEING with you that the Blender / LW pipeline is a good thing. Or maybe I'm twisted and read things differently to everyone else? 8~

SplineGod
09-26-2007, 02:12 AM
BINGO! Give the man a cigar :)

lgolden
09-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Oh get a grip! :thumbsdow

What Larry actually said was you could export most of the stuff already, which to me, had him AGREEING with you that the Blender / LW pipeline is a good thing. Or maybe I'm twisted and read things differently to everyone else? 8~

Agreing? Its a conformist statement! "Yes, you already can do this. Case closed!"

Have you ever used PoinOven on XSI? Go to the PO page:

<http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO1.5/XSI/PointOven_XSI.html>

one sample of the docs: "The scenes tab is where to setup scene formats and file paths for export. Each format has a checkbox to enable export, and a file control to specify where to save the scene. Multiple scene formats can be exported in one bake. To export to XSI, Maya or 3DS MAX use the Point Oven scene format."

See the difference... Oh, and yes you can export things from blender to LW and I already do this. But a batch process exportin all your scene from blender to LW would be very nice! And Blender guys are very responsive, helpfull and enthusiastic about spreading 3D to everybody! Blender users are always hungry about new renderes and LW render engine is beautiful, easy to use AND well priced! A proved render solution!

Andrew March, LW would win a few more users or not? Pixars PRMan Is not a modeling or animation environment, but you see Maya advertisement as a tool used for LOTR, Spiderman, etc. But is all rendered in PRMan...

But, I digress...

Luis

lgolden
09-26-2007, 01:37 PM
The Intuition search for his problem:

<http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74105>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hey Ben, if I was animating a character I would use the MDD method but I am doing dynamics with many objects and pieces. The FBX makes it a one step process.

I do not want to MDD 350 separated pieces of destroyed geometry.

I may end up rendering in Modo since the FBX opened in 301 just fine but I am still going to try the converter anyways."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

He could do experiments with this script that is being developed on this thread:

<http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101635>

and export his experiments with a script developed in a "joint venture" from blender guys and Newtek staff. Interesting things could happen!!!

Luis

lgolden
09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
<http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=101635&page=7>

exporting this samples developments tests would be very tedious! :D

Luis

Jim_C
09-26-2007, 01:52 PM
Wow.. this thread is turning into spam.

cresshead
09-26-2007, 02:31 PM
you know what...i've not eaten spam for around 20years.....must see if it's for sale in the supermarket!

re blender/lw..i'll be more interested once the U.I in blender gets an overhaul that makes it much simpler to use/learn.

colkai
09-27-2007, 02:01 AM
OOhhh, Spam.
Can't beat a nice grilled Spam and mushroom barm cake, (muffin / oven bottom / bread roll ..depending upon your location in the UK :p )

Very partial to that me, darn, now I've got the munchies! ;)

Blender.... Yup, likewise - just too "HUH?" inducing for me.

loki74
09-27-2007, 02:16 AM
okay I initially didn't care about this thread, but now I feel obligated to toss in my 2 cents:

(Grilled) Spam Saimin is amazing. Try it sometime! XD ^_____^