PDA

View Full Version : I swing both ways

Signal to Noise
09-24-2007, 12:38 PM
No, not in THAT way! ;)

Okay, I've been using Windows LW 32-bit for many years. I just built a 64-bit system and realize I'll need to request a new LW license key for the 64-bit o/s.

I also plan to buy a MacBook Pro laptop in the next couple of months. I wish to install LW on the Mac as well. I notice I can download the Mac version from my registered user downloads page. But what do I need to do as far as the dongle and license key go?

Any one a 'single' license of LW on both platforms?

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Any one a 'single' license of LW on both platforms?
Yup. The dongle ID is usually different, but you can use the same license on all platform.

Now go and swing some more ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Signal to Noise
09-24-2007, 12:57 PM
Awesome news! Thanks for replying so quick, Mike. :)

[edit] But if the dongle ID on the Mac is different than the one in Windows then wouldn't that mean I have to submit a new license key request?

Dodgy
09-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Out of interest, does LW come back with a different dongle id for 64 bit from 32 bit?

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
[edit] But if the dongle ID on the Mac is different than the one in Windows then wouldn't that mean I have to submit a new license key request?
Yup, but that's no problem, just like getting a new 64bit key (which is different as well).

@dodgy: the Win64 Id is usually the same as the one for Win32 - I think it may be different for a small batch of older dongles, but I haven't seen it happen yet.
Edit: the Id is the same, but the activation key is different.

Cheers,
Mike

Glendalough
09-24-2007, 01:48 PM
Awesome news! Thanks for replying so quick, Mike. :)

This is true, but it only takes about 30 seconds, your serial no. is the same for both just the dongle id is different.

Lightwolf: Think the 32 and 64 have seperate ids.

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 01:53 PM
Lightwolf: Think the 32 and 64 have seperate ids.
Well, mine don't (both an old purple and a new red USB dongle) ... and I've yet to get contacted by a customer who has separate IDs as well.

Cheers,
Mike

Glendalough
09-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Oh Yeah, dah, maybe they have to be the same. Remember reading that somthing was different for 64 and 32 on Windows, that they weren't identical.

BeeVee
09-25-2007, 01:40 AM
And here's how to do it:

1. Login to the Registration system at http://register.newtek.com;
2. Go to My Products;
3. Copy the serial number from there;
4. Go back to My Home and register a new LightWave 3D;
5. Paste the serial number you copied and you will be presented with a page where the licence you already registered is filled in, but there are empty cases for the other two platforms. Make sure you verify that the dongle number is correct for the platform you are registering.

B

Signal to Noise
09-25-2007, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the info, Ben. :thumbsup: