PDA

View Full Version : 3D model of Mt. Everest - or DEM file?

Axis3d
09-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Does anyone know of a site for a model of Mt. Everest. Or perhaps, a DEM file. If there is a DEM file, what is the best method for converting that into a Lightwave object? Thanks in advance.

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 09:16 AM
Have a look at this:
The link is basically an extension to google Earth that allows you to download parts of the globe as TIFF elevation data.

Cheers,
Mike

Axis3d
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
Did you post the link?

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Did you post the link?
lol.. I thought I did, sorry:
http://srtm.csi.cgiar.org/

Cheers,
Mike

archijam
09-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Accutrans 3D (micromouse.ca) is the best (almost) free way to get DEM into LW without another CAD or 3D app that I know ...

j.

archijam
09-24-2007, 10:57 AM
Have a look at this: The link is basically an extension to google Earth that allows you to download parts of the globe as TIFF elevation data.

Hey Mike - how would you propose turning that tiff into an accurate 3dmodel :) ?

j.

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 10:58 AM
Well, the SRTM data are just geotiffs, so you can crop in Photoshop, displace in Layout and then reduce the polygons in Modeler if you need to.

There are plenty of options here though- my favourite is using TextureScape using a displacement image: http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/texturescape.html

Cheers,
Mike

archijam
09-24-2007, 11:20 AM
I have been only using grayscale displacements (256) .. does LW automatically see the coloured goodness? (Sorry about all the questions, this is a whole lotta good news for me ...)

j.

Lightwolf
09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
I have been only using grayscale displacements (256) .. does LW automatically see the coloured goodness? (Sorry about all the questions, this is a whole lotta good news for me ...)

Coloured... no. But (depending on the image format) it can read more than 8 bits (256 values) of greyscale.

Cheers,
Mike

hijacker
09-24-2007, 06:52 PM
MIcro dem is the way to go - free and easy to use. You can export the DTED/DEM file into a OBJ and then merge and reduce polygons. Just goggle microdem.

cheers

MArtyn

archijam
09-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Thanks Martyn - how's the weather in the capital?

j.

Quote: MICRODEM is a freeware microcomputer mapping program written by Professor Peter Guth of the Oceanography Department, U.S. Naval Academy.

hijacker
09-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Archijam

Well its fine and sunny today - I actually live on a Farm 85km South of Canberra and commute everyday - due to the drought (need the money to feed the stock -don't know what will happen now there is no grain crop), it was cool and foggy down there at 6 oclock this morning when I left.

Cheers

Martyn

RedBull
09-25-2007, 08:28 PM
Archijam

Well its fine and sunny today - I actually live on a Farm 85km South of Canberra and commute everyday - due to the drought (need the money to feed the stock -don't know what will happen now there is no grain crop), it was cool and foggy down there at 6 oclock this morning when I left.

Cheers

Martyn

Sorry to hear about the stocks and crop, are you still working at Defence Dept?

hijacker
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
No - the Public Service is not the place for me, or should I say my type, I work for a company making simulation data bases and doing imagery analysis tasks in support of the RAAF and the Emergency Services - not looking forward to the fire season this year.

Martyn