PDA

View Full Version : F-Secure Firewall / Antivirus Issue ? Hub hangs.

acocq
09-24-2007, 02:15 AM
I read through the myriad of threads about the firewall and antivirus issues, but am not sure where my problem fits in (which is why I decided to open a new thread).

Using LW9.3 on a WinXP (32-bit) system. Installed F-Secure Internet security 2008.
I have configured the firewall to allow ALL IP traffic within the LAN-IP address range.
I have allowed Modeller, Layout and Hub to "connect to the internet".

When I start up modeller (or layout) it takes a long time to show up, and is then sluggish. The Hub gets started but disappears again from the taskbar within a few seconds. I can work with Layout (although a bit slow), but when I try to quit layout the system hangs. It shows that layout is using 50% CPU capacity (on a DualCore2 system) permanently.

If I disable the firewall within F-Secure, there is no improvement. But if I "unload" F-Secure and permit all network traffic, things work fine.

I already have deleted the hub configuration file to force it to create a new one.

I understand that this is a configuration issue with F-Secure, but after fiddling with all kinds of settings (to no avail), I am a bit frustrated. I don't want to disable F-Secure completely every time I need to start Lightwave (I know that I can use -O to disable the hub, and that may be an interim solution).

Any tips and pointers would be appreciated.

Regards,
Andreas

acocq
09-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Anyone with any ideas ? :confused:

Cheers,
Andreas

TheDAve
09-25-2007, 06:08 AM
IIRC, I'm not having these problems, and I also use f-Secure.
I'll have to check when I get home, but I think the hub is there.

Not very helpfull I know, but I suppose a negative is better than scilence?

DAve

acocq
09-25-2007, 07:28 AM
IIRC, I'm not having these problems, and I also use f-Secure.
I'll have to check when I get home, but I think the hub is there.

Not very helpfull I know, but I suppose a negative is better than scilence?

DAve

DAve,
thanks for the input ... what confuses me is that I don't even know WHERE it is hanging... very strange :eek: . Maybe you could provide some info about your F-Secure configuration (Firewall / AntiVir etc.) ?

Cheers,
Andreas

acocq
09-26-2007, 02:43 PM
OK ... I think I got it fixed.... :hey:

I downloaded and ran the WinsockFixXP program to rebuild the Winsock entries etc. in the registry ... and lo and behold ... HUB is working fine again.

What a load of manure :2guns: Windows is :compbeati ... I can't believe how much time I've wasted because of this ...

Jeez ... live and learn, I suppose ...

Cheers,
Andreas

TheDAve
09-30-2007, 09:32 AM
OK,

Good to hear you are up and running again.

DAve