PDA

View Full Version : ‘Flipping’ issues!

williamb
09-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Hi there

In layer-1, I use a SPLINE DRAW to draw the letter ‘B’
In layer-2, I use a SPLINE DRAW to draw the letter ‘A’

Why is it that sometimes (in the example above) the letter ‘A’ is reverse to the letter ‘B’? I can simply press ‘FLIP’ and great, but I have issues with bevelling…

When creating several objects within the same project, some of the objects i create are reverse…is there something I am doing wrong?

For example…my client has given me a custom deigned word ‘Badness’…’B,D,N,S,S’ are fine but ‘A,E’ are reversed and if I extrude them all sorts of issues…

Any one no what I am doing wrong?
Thanks

meshpig
09-24-2007, 01:37 AM
Using the text tool would be one solution.

-Your splines are going to follow the direction from the first point... if you flip the curves once done they'll have their start point at the other end.

Extruding splines is a bit of a waste of time because it freezes them and then you have to muck around too much for a single letter.

So, make your letters with spline-draw then spline-patch the 2D outline and... then extrude the faces.

All that seems to me to be happening when you have one layer's letter facing toward and the other facing away is that you have made your splines in different directions on each layer.

In which case you flip the faces.

A pic would help!!!

Cheers

M

meshpig
09-24-2007, 02:01 AM
Hi there

In layer-1, I use a SPLINE DRAW to draw the letter ‘B’
In layer-2, I use a SPLINE DRAW to draw the letter ‘A’

Why is it that sometimes (in the example above) the letter ‘A’ is reverse to the letter ‘B’? I can simply press ‘FLIP’ and great, but I have issues with bevelling…

When creating several objects within the same project, some of the objects i create are reverse…is there something I am doing wrong?

For example…my client has given me a custom deigned word ‘Badness’…’B,D,N,S,S’ are fine but ‘A,E’ are reversed and if I extrude them all sorts of issues…

Any one no what I am doing wrong?
Thanks

WB

Sorry, I see what the question is now.

When you create a poly or a curve, the order of point placement establishes the orientation of the subsequent geometry... as in the "faces".

Them's the rules!

i.e. if you select 4 vertices/points in an anti-clockwise direction and hit "p" (make poly) the polygon face will be reverse facing.

The same rules apply to splines/curves. The first point and the end point will determine any subsequent polygonal iterations as facing in the one or other direction.

M

williamb
09-24-2007, 02:07 AM
Thanks for that info

All my spline drawing is done clock wise
Then i turn off spline draw and drag points to match image i am copying
the i press SHift 'D' (freeze)
Sometimes it faces teh right way, sometimes not? wether ot not in a different layer...

meshpig
09-24-2007, 03:15 AM
Thanks for that info

All my spline drawing is done clock wise
Then i turn off spline draw and drag points to match image i am copying
the i press SHift 'D' (freeze)
Sometimes it faces teh right way, sometimes not? wether ot not in a different layer...

WB

Yeah, don't worry about the layers at this point and don't freeze the curves either. Just deal with one layer at a time.

Just try making a few splines in the one layer. i.e. cut and paste or mirror selected curves (shift V).

-What are you doing next...

You need to post some pics!!!

M

williamb
09-24-2007, 03:30 AM
Sometimes if i start again, it will face the correct way...

Ive trie to do the 'X' that have curves and i can't seem to get it right...I reduced the curves and it works!?

williamb
09-24-2007, 03:41 AM
made it, not exactly the same X but it will do!

meshpig
09-24-2007, 04:24 AM
Sometimes if i start again, it will face the correct way...

Ive trie to do the 'X' that have curves and i can't seem to get it right...I reduced the curves and it works!?

OK, so you're closing the curve by freezing it; the +4 sided resulting poly is then what you want to exclusivley bevel, but you'll run into difficulties with the corners.

If you select a row of points in the same geometry and make an "open curve", ctrl p; that is one with open ends, you can then specify the faces via spline-patch (ctrl F).

Try Selecting the X shape's faces, like all the polys making up the X letter shape; Shift Z, or unify polys for the lot. Then bevel the resulting +4 selected polyhedron... that will break it down so you can see.

Cheers

M

williamb
09-24-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks for you help

I Don't understand though...I've tried what you recommened...

Normally I:
Freeze
Extrude
Bevel...often at this stage i have to zoom in WELD points tother in ther corners if the corner is too sharp.

THREEL
09-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks for you help

I Don't understand though...I've tried what you recommened...

Normally I:
Freeze
Extrude
Bevel...often at this stage i have to zoom in WELD points tother in ther corners if the corner is too sharp.

Hi William,

Have you looked at your "Text" thread lately? Maybe, you would like to give the method I discribe there a try. Unfortunately, text comes into LW flat, so you have to manipulate it to make it 3-D, at least in ver. 8.5. Do you know what font this is? If you do, and you have it installed on your computer, you should be able to load it into LW.

If you can't match the font and need to draw it, make the face a little smaller than the letter you're trying to duplicate. Then, bevel it outward and back, instead of inward and foreward. This will eliminate what I call cross-over, or non-planar polygons, and the need to weld all of those "crossing" points. Make sure your original X polygon is facing the right direction. If you don't already know how, you can select it, and you should be able to see a line protruding out one side. If it's not facing the right way just flip it. After you have made all of your bevels, you'll most likely have to delete the outer most X polygon that is still selected.

Once you've finished your outward bevel, just select the most outward points, and do one Extender Plus on the selected points. Now, it seems as if nothing has happened, but if you move the still selected points, you will see the new geometry that was created. I like doing it this way instead of Extrude, because I seem to have a problem with Extrude turning some of the polygons the wrong way. Deselect these points, switch to polygon mode, and select all of the polygons you've created, except the ones that were created with Extender Plus. Now, use Mirror on these, across the correct axis, and at the right distance to line up the outer edge points. From here you should be able to just merge the overlying points without welding any of them. If they don't merge, try changing the merge setting to fixed with a minuet distance, and see what happens.

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

williamb
09-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Thanks for your advice...I will give this ago soon...i cant use the font feature as the font is cutom made for my client...

Cheers
William