PDA

View Full Version : Slow Motion

edmellnik
09-22-2007, 07:37 PM
A long time ago on one of these forums I read
someone had figured out how to increase the quality of slow motion on VT by copying the same clip and putting it underneath the first clip.
and by turning on overlay and offsetting the bottome clip..... Or something like that.

ALso at one time the there was a listing of speed percentage settings that look the best.

I did a search and did not come up with what I was looking for. If anyone has that info. I would appreciate
it.

Ed

Bobt
09-22-2007, 09:17 PM
Offset it by one frame set both the bottom clip to ~40% opacity.
( you have to play with that one)
That should do it..

Videonut
09-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Offset it by one frame set both the bottom clip to ~40% opacity.
( you have to play with that one)
That should do it..

Could you please break down in English - offset the bottom clip by one frame which way. What does offsetting the clip help with the slow motion? Sorry for being in a fog, but I really don't get it.

ScorpioProd
09-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Whichever direction you want. You're simply creating a frame blend to smooth things out.

Videonut
09-23-2007, 03:17 PM
Please explain in a little more detail the steps from start to finish.

Thalek
09-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I'm a newbie, so I can't provide a truly detailed description, but here's my understanding of the process:

1) Perform the slow motion effect on your clip.

2) Copy the clip to a second track. Move it over one frame with respect to the first clip. If you consider the first clip to be the one occuring first, then move the second clip such that it DELAYS by one frame. But as pointed out, you're creating an overlay, so delay or lead by one frame makes no real difference.

3) Set both clips to 40% opacity (approximately) in the control tree.

4) Overlay one clip on the other with the overlay feature.

The idea is that this will create a smoothing effect without tons of calculations. HOW EFFECTIVE this effect is will be subjective, but I imagine that the slower your clip is moving, the less effective the treatment will be.

Hope I'm fairly close to having understood the process here and that it was a useful explanation.

billmi
09-27-2007, 06:15 AM
Yep, but you only want to set opacity to 40% on the copy of the clip that is on the lowest track - otherwise the top copy will become greyed out (it will be 60% video, and 40% black.)

Thalek
09-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Thanks, Billmi. That one would have puzzled me for awhile.

I saw someone do a great Matrix fighting effect using offset layers on another package. Have your actor stand still and punch rapidly. Duplicate the clip and offset about five frames, with appropriate opacity. Instant octopus arms! [grin]