PDA

View Full Version : Tutorial online, smooth indefinite tumble

starbase1
09-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Hi All,
I have just put a new tutorial on my web site:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/lightwave-tumble-tutorial.html

It's simple but may be useful - it covers how to do a smooth indefinite tumble of an object, without the problems you get by simply extending a rotation in H, P and B indefinitely, by means of a nest of 3 nulls each parented to the other.

Sample scene included so you can simply replace the object. Very handy for a view of something from all angles to show it off.

Nick

3DGFXStudios
09-22-2007, 09:51 AM
It seems your avi file (tie-tumble.avi) is broken! but thnx for the tut! :)

starbase1
09-22-2007, 10:01 AM
Now fixed (I think!), thanks for pointing it out.

billuke
09-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Hello,I have a question about your Starfield lws. I am dealing with lw 7.0 and cannot load the scean,however I can load the star objects. What is the proper motion (s) in your starfield? Do I place a camera in the center,and slowly rotate,or fly thru it? or a combination of both.

Thanks....Bill

roboken
09-27-2007, 04:58 PM
The avi files are not playing for me. It says "missing module" whatever that means. I did download the latest divx codecs and that did not help. Is anyone else having a problem with these files?

Thanks...

IMI
09-28-2007, 12:08 AM
"tie-tumble" plays for me in the latest DivX player with the 6.7 codec, but not in Media Player 11.
( cool, btw. :) )
"tumble-vid2" doesn't play in either, giving codec error messages.

starbase1
09-28-2007, 01:14 AM
Thanks to all for the feedback...

The vid is Mp4 (I'm pretty sure!). The scenes are VERY quick to render though, and a preview from the scene will take seconds to knock up, so if you have problems I suggest you just try it. I long ago gave up on making vids anyone can play...
:thumbsdow

The only pretty much universal ones like cinepak give lousy reults, large files, or both.

The star fields object...
This is a simple one metre ball of points, with 7 differing levels of brightness. It is intended to provide still star backdrops, NOT star trek style moving star fields. You will very probably want to twiddle the surfaces and brightness. I had expected it to be rendered separately, if you want to put it into the same scene as a spaceship, you will need to make it a LOT bigger, (I recommend in Layout not Modeler)

I attach a screen grab from the scene, and a render of the star field (showing Orion bottom and left of centre, Taurus towards the upper right, and the Plaiedes top right.)

Nick

billuke
09-29-2007, 09:19 AM
Thank You Nick,

I did a quiick animation of it,and it came out good enough for my use.and brightening up the stars really improved the look.

Matt
09-29-2007, 09:31 AM
Neither AVIs play on my system either :(

IMI
09-29-2007, 06:03 PM
Thank you. I'll check that out later. :)