PDA

View Full Version : SLI graphics cards

KillMe
09-22-2007, 08:08 AM
thinking about a new setup so was wondering about SLI - is it worth it will ti speed up open gl performance or is it really only a gamer thing?

KillMe
09-22-2007, 08:31 AM
booooooo =/

Bog
09-22-2007, 12:37 PM
That strikes me as a bit sad. Surely an OpenGL call is an OpenGL call?

IMI
09-22-2007, 03:06 PM
[conspiracy theory]

I don't know why they just haven't come up with dual core GPU's by now.
Unless that's the next thing in the Planned Obsolescence Playbook... like HDTV...

[/conspiracy theory]

IMI
09-22-2007, 03:35 PM
Because any meaningful dual core GPU would fry itself to dust. They have a hard enough time as it is to keep a single core properly cooled - They could probably make dual core GPUs with lower end parts, but what would the benefit be to that, when they wouldn't be able to keep up with the fastest single GPUs?

I don't doubt that you're right about the heat factor, but it would seem to me that solving that problem wouldn't be a real issue. It might require special cases, maybe even air conditioning, but how is it possible to have an 8 core CPU and keep it cool enough, but not possible to have a dual core GPU?

RedBull
09-22-2007, 04:59 PM
There have been plenty of multi-GPU configurations, some single card, Dual GPU SLI solutions exist even today....
But it's been done for years by many different manufactures, Nvidia and Matrox for example have both done multigpu videocards...
So it's quite doable, it's just not really worth the extra price for the performance offered, Especially when SLI doesn't offer any advantage in 3D graphics, only games.

IMI
09-22-2007, 09:37 PM
So it's quite doable, it's just not really worth the extra price for the performance offered, Especially when SLI doesn't offer any advantage in 3D graphics, only games.

Well, that's what I was talking about. I honestly don't know how to express it in comp-talk, although I do know what SLI is and that it can't be used in apps, only games.
So, basically, if you have a dual core GPU, the apps would have to be written to take advantage of it - it would more or less be SLI in one card, instead of two?

What about the ultra high end graphics cards like the quadros - are they just amped up GPU's with more memory and higher efficiency? I read the specs on these sorts of things, and am not even sure what they're saying.

RedBull
09-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Well, that's what I was talking about. I honestly don't know how to express it in comp-talk, although I do know what SLI is and that it can't be used in apps, only games.
So, basically, if you have a dual core GPU, the apps would have to be written to take advantage of it - it would more or less be SLI in one card, instead of two?

Yep it's just SLI condensed on to a single card, I Believe Gigabyte were the first manufacturer to do it with SLI and Nvidia chips, back at the 6600 series.

Here is a link to the Geforce 7950, with SLI on a single PCB.
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/VGA/Products_Spec.aspx?ProductID=2284

What about the ultra high end graphics cards like the quadros - are they just amped up GPU's with more memory and higher efficiency? I read the specs on these sorts of things, and am not even sure what they're saying.

Quadro's have always been a way for Nvidia to make more money off of the same product line, generally they are just glorified Geforce cards, and i really wouldn't waste my money..
Once upon a time i used to spend a lot of money on FireGL's & Wildcats for LW, and it really just wasn't worth the extra money, even on Max/Maya/XSI the hardware extras that the Quadro's offer is not even remotely worth the extra cost.

There are still ways to convert a standard Geforce card into a Quadro card.
(driver hacks, or soldering certain things) again not really worth it IMO.

There is the Quadro 4500FX X2 which is a dual GPU...
Nvidia does have Quad/Dual GPU configurations on the Plex series too. :)
http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

When looking at Videocards, basically a memory amount and Ramdac speeds are the things that count.... So a 640Mb 500M/1000Mhz card is going to be faster than a 320Mb 400/800Mhz card...

IMI
09-23-2007, 04:34 PM
Cool. I appreciate the info. :)
I'm almost finished building my new PC (after hundreds of stupid questions on various tech forums). All that's left is for me to put it together and buy a video card. I'm waiting on the CPU fan to arrive, and ordering an nvidea 8600 512 MB, DDR3 vid card next week. The motherboard is SLI,. but I won't be doing that. I would like to get the geforce 8800, but I fear that the power supply I bought won't be enough for it. I'll be updating all that eventually.