PDA

View Full Version : Going from PC to Mac?

Regius
09-22-2007, 02:33 AM
I've used Lightwave on my old pc for some time now but I recently bought an iMac and want to work on it in from now on. My LW license is for the pc platform and I emailed my registration details to [email protected] 12 days ago and asked them to send me a new Mac license key for my duo-dongle - but I haven't heard anything at all ...why is that? When can I start making 3D graphics on my Mac?

Regius
09-22-2007, 07:45 AM
Oh! Why didn't I think of that... :-) Thanks, now I've got my license key for the Mac. Now I just need to get past the 'Unknown command: "Generic_makelicense"' bug in v9.3. I think I saw it in another thread how it was a matter of writing it in a file and putting it a special place?

brian.coates
09-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I think the license entry for LW UB works pretty reliably, at least it has for me.

If you have trouble with the license key there's a couple of things to try:

-make sure the actual file is named "license.key" and doesn't have the ".txt" file extension at the end. 'Get info' on the file to check it's full file name.
-make sure the file contains only the license number. No spaces at the beginning, no line return afterwards.

As for the location, it should go in your personal Preferences folder, (~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/).

noiseboy
09-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Copied from a Newtek post;
'Mac Universal Preferences and License Keys
The license.key file for a single user, and user-specific settings should go in:

~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Any license.key file you want all users to have access to, and machine-specific settings should go in:

/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

Third party plug-ins for the user (as they start showing up) should probably go in:

~/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins/

Third party plug-ins you want all users of your machine to have access to should go in:

/Library/Application Support/LightWave3D/Plugins/

The Extensions configuration file used to contain a list of all of the plug-ins you're using. Since we're using an automatic search now, the Extensions file will be empty by default. If the user manually adds a plug-in via the Add Plugins command, or by any non-automatic means, it will show up in that file. We're trying to move away from this mechanism, but we've left this capability in, in case you really need it.

Any objects or scenes you drag and drop into LightWave windows will not change the content directory.

Instructions for creating and placement of the license.key file in the Universal Binary
1) Open TextEdit.app
2) Paste your permanent key on the first line
3) Select the 'Make Plain Text' item in the Format menu
4) Save the file. Name the file 'license.key', and place it in any one of the following folders...
SharedSupport folder, which is in the main LightWave program folder, next to Layout, Modeler, and other LightWave tools.
~/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/
/Library/Preferences/LightWave3D/

5) Open Layout to confirm that the key worked.

Regius
09-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Great!! Thanks a lot everyone - thanks to you I am now up and running in no time! It works. :-)