PDA

View Full Version : FBX ?? Update for Lightwave?

Intuition
09-21-2007, 02:54 PM
I am running into the "FBX file version 6.1.0 not supported in this file version" error.

What is the work around?

Do I need to use an older FBX exporter out of XSI (even possible with XSI6?) or is there an update for Lightwave that I am not finding?

Trying to get some data into Lightwave for rendering.

SplineGod
09-21-2007, 08:19 PM
Export the fbx in version 5 format.
You could also try and export as mdd data.

tischbein3
09-22-2007, 07:20 AM
or is there an update for Lightwave that I am not finding?

Latest aviable version I've encountered 6.0.2 on the autodesk site (no xsi here to countercheck it.)

Intuition
09-22-2007, 03:24 PM
Hmm...?

Well, maybe I can add the older FBX exporter from XSI 5.11 in 6 and see if that works.

It still surprises me how difficult it is to move data around. At the same time I can be amazed at how I can do it at all ;) .

Well, here is to hoping the FBX plug-in can be updated for Lightwave soon. :lwicon:

ben martin
09-24-2007, 06:48 AM
The best version is Kaydara 5.5 and the plug-ins version 5.3.
It works like a breeze without any fix rotate yada... yada... yada issues.

You can always use the FBX versions converter tool.

From version 6 up to 7.5 its a complete crap with Lightwave.
Not to mention that Autodesk did an excellent job screwing the display OpenGL real time playback routine in V7! Now it's more like a slideshow (demo version) and let's not touch the utopia price issue. :eek:

If you need I can send to you the Lightwave FBX V5.3 version… just send-me a private message!

Intuition
09-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Where is the FBX converter tool?

I think the weak link is that LW's importer does not support the version XSI 6 is exporting.

So if I could get the FBX converter tool to convert the XSI export into an FBX the LW importer can read then we are good. :D

tischbein3
09-25-2007, 12:53 PM
Also on the autodesk fbx download page.

www.autodesk.com
->search fbx
->first search result link
->registering not needed, only OS selection

ben martin
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Where is the FBX converter tool?

I think the weak link is that LW's importer does not support the version XSI 6 is exporting.

So if I could get the FBX converter tool to convert the XSI export into an FBX the LW importer can read then we are good. :D
Well, I donít get it!

If you are using XSI why donít you simply use MDD Ė Point Oven to export your animated character to Lightwave?

I use the following workflow:

Character modeled/textured/rig in Lightwave.
The Lightwave RIG respects/Matches Motion Builder RIG.

FBX Export the LW Chararacter scene to Motion Builder and animate it there.
After animation is finished FBX export it back to Lightwave and all is fine.

The only problem is that I use Lightwave FBX plug-in to version 5.3 not 6.
Also Iím using Kaydara 5.5 instead Motion builder 6 but if you use version 6 you can convert the FBX 6 format to FBX 5.3 and Lightwave will work fine without mixing XSI in the workflow.

Just send me you e-mail (private message) and Iíll send the Lightwave FBX 5.3 plug-in and the FBX Converter tool so you can use Motion Builder 6 successfully with Lightwave.
Iíll also add a doc explaining the entire workflow.

Intuition
09-25-2007, 04:39 PM
Hey Ben, if I was animating a character I would use the MDD method but I am doing dynamics with many objects and pieces. The FBX makes it a one step process.

I do not want to MDD 350 separated pieces of destroyed geometry. :thumbsup:

I may end up rendering in Modo since the FBX opened in 301 just fine but I am still going to try the converter anyways.

:hey:

ben martin
09-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Hey Ben, if I was animating a character I would use the MDD method but I am doing dynamics with many objects and pieces. The FBX makes it a one step process.

I do not want to MDD 350 separated pieces of destroyed geometry. :thumbsup:

I may end up rendering in Modo since the FBX opened in 301 just fine but I am still going to try the converter anyways.

:hey:
AlrightÖ now it makes senseÖ
OK then, good luck! :thumbsup:

Cageman
09-25-2007, 05:18 PM
I've successfully exported FBX7.5 from Maya and MotionBuilder and they load perfectly into LightWave, both when merging as well as importing. I know this doesn't really help you, but at least you know it works when exporting from MotionBulder and Maya.

SplineGod
09-25-2007, 07:47 PM
But which version of FBX?

Cageman
09-26-2007, 03:09 AM

Cageman
09-26-2007, 03:32 AM
I've put it online, you can get it here:
http://hangar18.campus.luth.se/~cageman/fbx/fbx6.0.1.p

Intuition
09-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey guys, I got time to test the converter this morning.

Good news. It works :D !

:hat:

link to clip.

http://www.mediafire.com/?4z4acbgjuvd

thirdmonster
11-05-2007, 11:49 PM
Thank you!!! I was getting the export to .fbx to work fine, but the import and merge functions were just crapping out. The plugin you posted fixed it.

Much thanks!

-Steven

DaveLEWIS
11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
Hi Cageman,

I am looking at a pipeline that goes from Maya to Motionbuilder to Lightwave. Any chance that you could explain the process, especially getting the animation into Lightwave.

DaveLEWIS

Cageman
11-06-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah... I can... :)

EDIT: Woops.... I must have clicked without notice... I did give a quite elaborative explanation of the process over at SpinQuad... trying to find the post... :)

Cageman
11-06-2007, 03:59 PM
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18988&highlight=cageman

EDIT: 5th post... let me know if the information provided is ok, or if you need more... :)

Cageman
11-06-2007, 04:07 PM
Also, something I forgot in the explanation on how to get it into LW:

Load the character in its bindpose and use FBX Merge to load the animation onto the bones of the character...

Cageman
11-06-2007, 04:16 PM
Finaly, I think that FBX is not the right way to go if you don't NEED bones in LW (i.e a game-engine or other interactive systems that can load LWS). So, for things that's going to be rendered, go for a PointOven pipeline. This allows you to use Maya->Motionbuilder->Maya->LightWave (FBX between Maya/Motionbuilder), PointOven in Maya to bake MDDs that you then apply to the objects in LightWave... you can get around alot of hassle doing it that way, especially when your intentions is not to rig/animate in LW in the first place.

EDIT: And, when you have PointOven installed for Maya, you can load LWOs into Maya directly. :)

DaveLEWIS
11-06-2007, 04:25 PM
Hi Cageman,

Thank you, I'll go over to SQ and check it out in the morning. Much apreciated.

DaveLEWIS

DaveLEWIS
11-06-2007, 05:12 PM
Hi Cageman,

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You have solved my problem:)

I especially like the parts where I don't have to use bones in LW and I can load Lwo into Maya:)

May I ask:

Is PointOven free?

Is MDD part of LW or do I need to get hold of a plugin?

Thank you again, this will be very helpfull to me:)

DaveLEWIS

Cageman
11-06-2007, 05:16 PM
http://www.ef9.com/ef9/PO.htm

I'll order my private license as soon as my money are transfered to my PayPal account... a single user license cost only $99 and then you get all you need. :)

DLIT
11-28-2007, 07:39 AM
I m wondering whether LW 9.3 files exported into FBX embbed really the texture as the checking box of the plug in lets it think. The lack of texture once loaded into MB7.5 after FBX6 > FBX7.5 conversion might come from this first step.
Any info about that ?
Dom

Igu4n4
11-29-2007, 02:17 PM
We've been doing a lot of work with Lightwave and FBX over the past few days for a Toyota spot and had a lot of issues at first.

We were bringing Maya data into LW for cleanup (model data), doing our animation in LW and then taking scenes (not the footage), into Fusion 5.2.

I was initially using the 5.x version of the fbx LW exporter and it was quite odd. Fusion was bringing in the FBX file just fine (after we UV mapped everything as the exporter doesn't like planar maps). But after saving the comp in Fusion we couldn't open it again without all the textures dissappearing. They were there as references, but they were being stripped or corrupted on the objects.

After banging our heads for a while, I went back to Maya, and to Max to try to import the fbx into them. Neither would work. Maya would give you a skinnable object texture error and not load anything, and Max would give a skin-origin position error and bring the geometry in, but drop the textures. So we figured the problem was on the LW export end.

I loaded up the LW-fbx 6.x plugin, and it seemed to solve the problems with Fusion, but not Maya. I still get the skinnable object texture error. I haven't had a chance to see if it solves the Max issue yet.

We resolved to figure it is a compatibility issue between the different versions of FBX, and the way it handles UV data. Fusion seems to be just 3d-dumb enough to be backwards compatible with older FBX versions on import, but once it saves it's comp, it uses a newer exporter, than upon re-import finds a compatibility issue between the original older LW fbx save files that it is trying to import back in.

It's kinda of a pain in the @ss to be behind the curve with the FBX scene because of lack of up-to-date development on LW's end of the stick. FBX is really the only well supported data/scene structure movement due to the different packages we're using, and they really need to get us up to speed and fully-supported.

NEWTEK... I know it's supposed to be coming.. but let's get rolling here, it's killing us in a real-world production environment.

Steve.
www.electriccompany.tv

DLIT
11-30-2007, 09:00 AM
Maybe this recent Autodesk's help file will be of use to some of us.
Dom

Intuition
11-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I'ev been able to do most FBX from

LW <-> modo <-> XSI <-> max <-> maya

Pretty well so far but the camera is always trouble some.

The rotation values are always different due to the different up axis' in the other apps.

What would be nice for an FBX converter would be to specify the camera rotation values to be swapped or inverted at conversion time.

I try to use target objects now as a way to make sure the camera is pointing in the right direction.

tischbein3
11-30-2007, 11:32 AM
The rotation values are always different due to the different up axis' in the other apps.

What would be nice for an FBX converter would be to specify the camera rotation values to be swapped or inverted at conversion time.

Simple switching doesn't work: Because you will pretty much run into axis conversion problems. (Gimbal Lock etc)
Hint: Try to use a global null to wich your camera is parented to compensate Z/Y up coordinate systems.

Digital Hermit
12-01-2007, 07:40 PM
I know, right now, an outdated Autodesk LW/FBX solution is better than nothing... but should NewTek's development focus on COLLADA for interoperability, rather than FBX?

Just curious, :D

SplineGod
12-01-2007, 10:07 PM
I think at this point that Newtek cannot afford to have an obstacles preventing LW from importing and exporting files, objects, scenes, etc etc to and from the major apps.