PDA

View Full Version : 9.3 Window Opacity

MLynch
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
What is the purpose of adding the feature of decreasing or increasing window opacity in LW 9.3?

I was in Modeler yesterday and couldn't figure out why I could see my desktop through my LW interface. I eventually quit and re-opened to get rid of it. This morning I happened to notice what key stroke I hit when it happened. (command+"-" and command+"+" or go to the Window menu at the top of the screen) So this raises the question of "why is this feature here?"

I'm sure there's a logical reason for it, but I can't figure it out.

eblu
09-21-2007, 01:07 PM
I think its programming satire.
Chilton changed the utility windows in Lightwave to disappear when the app is not the front most, and all of the users complained. he changed it back, and all the users complained. Once bitten, twice shy now, Chilton has added a completely useless (but neat) feature that apparently compromises between the two opposing camps.

He's saying that if everybody gets what they want, the application will be completely useless, and that sometimes compromise is not only bad, its plain wrong. I think its brilliant.

John the Geek
09-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I think I recall it being a side effect of porting the window system into a more cocoa-compliant setup. So I think it's there simply because it can be, and it was no added effort to put it there since it's a feature of Mac OS X itself.

Scazzino
09-22-2007, 06:36 PM
It's just an easy by-product of the Mac GUI... Even terminal can do this. It's not a "big" feature, but it can come in handy now and then, if you're working on something and wish to still be able to see other things that may be behind your main window. I use it in Terminal all the time so it doesn't obscure other things I'm working on at the same time...

:D

Scazzino
09-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Even stickies has translucent windows... it's just part of the Mac GUI that's easily available to activate...

:D