PDA

View Full Version : Digital Painting

bluerider
09-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Hello fellow LightWavers,
I thought I'd have a go at some digital 2D Art. I'm using Aura VT.

What I have done is start with a quick sketch then use that to play with some "pixel painting".

Must sleep, nite nite.

jameswillmott
09-21-2007, 12:07 AM
That's a delightful piece Graham!

bluerider
09-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Thankyou James,
I really need to find time for more digital painting. :)

Piolla
09-22-2007, 05:02 AM
I like it! Love the concept and the colours!

jameswillmott
09-22-2007, 05:37 AM
Thankyou James,
I really need to find time for more digital painting. :)

Please do, I find your work very inspiring and hope it finally goads me into doing some painting of my own... :)

gerry_g
09-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Really freaky, I remember doing something similar for Men Only or Club magazine, can't remember for sure but it was about twenty years ago, back when being an Illustrator could be a way of making a living (just), very nicely done bluerider

bluerider
09-23-2007, 09:48 PM
gerry_g,
Cool, maybe they'll ask me to illustrate, I'll keep fiddlying around and see. :devil: :D .

jameswillmott,
OK....I finally freed up time on Sunday. I put all my worries to one side, relaxed and had fun with this.

The title of this whole development is called "Faeries of the hand". It alludes to the magic in someones heart to bring alive the dreams in our mind we sometimes allow ourselves to drift into and wander for respite and solice from a material world. In doing so this forever changes our perception of reality.

agv
09-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Again, really nice work.

Do you have a preference for a paint package? I've not used Aura. I'm so used to PhotoShop, but it isn't as painterly, is it? I also have Corel Painter but haven't had the chance to learn it yet.

bluerider
09-24-2007, 11:09 PM
agv,
I've been using Aura for a number of years. Its something I am used to using plus its a good digital paint tool, although the software does a whole host of other things.

I don't use photoshop to paint in because of how the menu system works although initially thats where I bring in the origonal image to scale and color it.

Probably the most important thing for me about digital painting is the type of digital tool you paint with, thats important. In other words what type of tablet or screen because the co ordination is crucial, I hate painting with a mouse.

agv
09-24-2007, 11:16 PM
I recently hooked up an old Wacom UD-1212-R that I had sitting around from a while back and realized what I've been missing with a stupid mouse. I can't figure out why I wasn't using it. Just being silly I guess.

bluerider
09-25-2007, 10:03 PM
I took this from a sketch I did on the Sketch of the day thread.

"catching a star while riding a hog"

agv
09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
That's great!

I've noticed a prevalant theme in your work of an acrobatic ensemble atop grotesque beasts. Sometimes artists don't like to expound on the theme of their works, but if you care to, does it have meaning?

bluerider
09-26-2007, 09:03 AM
Hello agv,
Generally the idea is creating complementaries, the acrobatic ensemble atop grotesque beasts, with visual forms. A bit like for color theory ( subtractive synthesis) you put orange with blue and you have a complimentary.

The contrast of elements like this create a visual lift. However, apart from the technical aspects of particular themes that recur in my work, there are metaphysical topics I feel compelled to depict. It feels natural and I go on intuition.

Iain
09-27-2007, 03:36 AM
I love the colours in this one.

Your sketches make me think of Dr Seuss mixed with the best comic book art.(That was intended as a compliment!)

edit-Peter Howson is in there somewhere too. One of my favourite contemporary artists.

bluerider
09-27-2007, 06:11 AM
Iain,
Thanks, comics yes you've got me thinking. I should invite some comic artist to post here.

My favorite comic artist is Frezzato, he has a series "Les Gardiens Du Maser".

Heres a link, http://www.maser-universe.com/ .

But Suess, yes I can see the connection. Howson, thanks, I've booked marked his site, wasn't familiar with his work. :)

Iain
09-27-2007, 07:46 AM
My favorite comic artist is Frezzato, he has a series "Les Gardiens Du Maser".

Heres a link, http://www.maser-universe.com/ .

That's a cool site. I love good quality comic book art. Travis Charest and Frank Quitely are amazing.

bluerider
09-29-2007, 10:13 AM
I got a bit more time freed up last night and this morning to continue my theme of "Faeries of the hand".

The sketch for this I already put up on Sketch of the day thread.

bluerider
09-29-2007, 10:25 AM
Ah, I'll put it here anyway.
Iain,
Frank Quitely.....amazing. I read his sandman illustration. Incredible, enchanting, inspiring. I was introduced to his work through a friend called Feargal, hes a curator of a gallery in Portadown, N'Ireland.

bluerider
03-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Its a long time since I added to this section. However, I have decided to continue the theme. I did a sketch a few days ago and decided to paint it digitally. It is not finished but its on the way....I think.

agv
03-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Very nice! I like the turquoise in there. It's been a while since I looked at your work, and I like the faeries of the hand too. What's not to like?!

Graham, are you using, or have you ever used a Cintiq? I'm curious what someone with your proficient skill thinks of them. I'm under the impression that if one can get past the sticker shock, they're pretty good.

bluerider
03-06-2008, 09:47 AM
agv,
Yes I use a Wacom Cintiq 21' for all the digital painting. I use it for image maps for texturing geometry, painting displacement and normal maps in 3D apps. I even do most of my storyboarding using it. I have found the Cintiq to be a very important tool, I don't want to go back to drawing digitally with a mouse.

The pressure sensitivity and contact between the pen and screen makes the transition from tradition paper/ canvas seamless. Also the controls and buttons on the side of the cintiq makes for easy navigation for User Interface. Also the way you can slope and adjust the angle of the Cintiq makes it indispensable.

Its just basically an awesome gorgeous piece of hardware.

agv
03-06-2008, 10:04 AM
That's great to hear because I'm on the verge of buying the 21". I'm thinking of getting a used one on eBay from a company that sells lots of gear. They seem like they're reputable. Do you get yours new? Would you recommend against used?

The only thing I'm worried about is that I have a slightly older system and graphics card. I hope there won't be too much lag.

bluerider
03-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Second hand sounds fine. Its unlikely its been misused, you'll see why its unlikely to be abused when you start using it.

Users tend to treat it with the loving care and tenderness of their first born and the properness of etiquette when going out on a first date. Its kinda like a cyber umbilical cord attaching you to the machine, if ITS hurt......... your hurt.

Lol..........did I just write that about and inanimate object:help:

bluerider
03-06-2008, 11:54 PM
Well this is finished now. Hopefully I'll be able to start on another tomorrow night.

The changes have be resizing some of the figures. Also the addition of three more faeries flying towards the suspended cage. The cage has been diminished in size in order to create a greater sense of scale.

Extra detail added to faeries wings epically the one nearest to the viewer.

Goodnite all.

bluerider
03-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Did this tonight. I had been sketching this helldog at Christmas. I noticed it propped up against the wall looking at me saying, develop me please. I scanned it in then digitally massaged it a bit. It worked out about 2 to 2 and a half hours.

So I have attached the initial sketch, then the finished piece.

agv
03-08-2008, 08:24 PM
More good stuff, Graham.

Thanks for that feedback about the Cintiq, I went ahead and purchased it. Hope it will work out nicely!

bluerider
03-08-2008, 09:54 PM
:thumbsup:

Post up some results as soon as you get it.

Andrewstopheles
03-09-2008, 02:34 PM
nice work, evokes a good emotional response

bluerider
03-09-2008, 06:45 PM
thanks Andrewstopheles

bluerider
03-21-2008, 12:24 AM
I thought I would break out in a boil and expand my digital technique tonight. This was a sketch I did earlier in the day, took it home and decided to evoke a feeling for a "proper" environment, even thought its imaginary.

In my faerie paintings the characters are central, they are the primary visual narrative. In this, the environment is primary and the characters are there as scale reference even though of course their gestures suggest some type of interaction.

Its not finished, however, its Goodnite and time for bed :sleeping:

bluerider
03-21-2008, 11:15 PM
Well I managed to get a little more done even thought I didn't get back from shopping till 9.45pm.

Must beat resistance, must make something. :)