PDA

View Full Version : Logo Surfacing Question

billuke
09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Hello, I am creating a 3d logo,and part of it is a ball that I need to surface like the attached file. I can't figure out how to create the white lines on the ball I made.I already have it surfaced with the blue color,I now need the white lines to go completly around it.Would appreciate any input !!!

Thanks.Bill

Cougar12dk
09-20-2007, 09:52 PM
I would think that using the "grid" procedural texture and then using a fisheye lens on a perspective camera would get you that effect. I've not tried it, this is just thinking aloud.

billuke
09-21-2007, 06:26 AM
I did image map the photo you see here,but it only covers 1/3rd of the object.I also tried creating Disc's to go thru the ball,but it's almost impossible to get the edging right ,to match the ball profile. I like the disc idea,but I'm not much of a modeler !

also I'm not really concerened about the fisheye effect in the original,a straight grid would be fine. Thanks for your input.

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 06:30 AM
Ok :)

You could also try (in modeler) using boolean to cut through the ball.

I mean, put a grid in a background layer, select the ball in the foreground layer, and do a boolean to cut the grid out of the ball.

billuke
09-21-2007, 06:54 AM
Do you mean create a grid that is a lwo?

billuke
09-21-2007, 07:01 AM
Do you mean create a grid that is a lwo?

That was probably a stupid question. Of coarse it has to be a lwo !

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I mean, create a sphere (ball) in the foreground layer, then in the second layer, press Shift+x and and the a thin plane, then drag out one side to make a thin box.... now, in polygon mode hit 'c' to copy that and 'v' to paste it, move it a bit the side....keep doing this a few times to get the grid I was talking about....Select all the polygons in that layer, hit 'c' and 'v', then rotate the grid 90 degrees on one axis. Then you have the grid you're gonna boolean from the ball.
Now go to the first layer, but the second layer in the background and hit shift+b, select subtract and press enter.

you should have your sphere with the lines through it then.

*EDIT* added the image I intended to attach to the original message :P *EDIT*

billuke
09-21-2007, 07:11 AM
Thanks,I'm going to try your idea,but these cutout lines will allow whatever background I'm going to have show thru the model,which could look like crap.

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Except if you use a single color background.

billuke
09-21-2007, 08:23 AM
well I tried it,but my pc is saying ( not enough memory to perform this function ) so I tried piecemealing it using just one section at a time.It is taking out everything to the right of the plane ! in other word's,if I put my box in the middle of the ball,and do a boolean subtract, I'm left with half a ball,not just a cutout the width of the plane.

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Hang on, I'll upload my slit box in a minute.

*EDIT and that was NOT anything dirty ;) :P *EDIT*

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 08:31 AM
Should be attached to this post.

billuke
09-21-2007, 08:34 AM
I'm dealing with lw 7.0 so I hope it will open !

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 08:35 AM
I doubt it will... I'll convert it to LW7 .lwo

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 08:37 AM
Well, LW5 then :)

But LW7 reads LW5's .lwo's

BeeVee
09-21-2007, 08:47 AM
It reads current LWOs too. It's only scene files that have changed since 9.0. Billuke, you should update to 7.5. It's a free update and offers added speed, particularly for radiosity, and stability.

B

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Ah, alright, so I've just had a coupla minutes of work for nothing ... great!

Just kidding of course :tongue:

billuke
09-21-2007, 08:56 AM
Tis is good good good ! not to be a pain,but the original has 4 lines in it vert/horizontal. with the center being the biggest surface.could you check my original thumbnail,and get it closer to this look? This is greatly appreciated,as I am doing this logo for a non profit agency for the blind.

billuke
09-21-2007, 09:00 AM
It reads current LWOs too. It's only scene files that have changed since 9.0. Billuke, you should update to 7.5. It's a free update and offers added speed, particularly for radiosity, and stability.

B
I tried the update,but it crashed the program 3 times,so I said heck with it.I'm going to get 9.0 soon,I didn't want to invest that much$$ if I wasn't goint to use lw, BUT NOW I'm HOOKED !!! Thanks for the insight.

BeeVee
09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
Perhaps this link (http://www.lightwiki.com/Boolean) will show you how Booleans work?

B
PS. The item as a black wireframe is in a background layer and is used to cut the item in the foreground layer.

billuke
09-21-2007, 09:06 AM
I think my problem with the boolean function is that the ball I created has to many sides to it (I think at least 50 ) and it's to much for my pc to handle.

billuke
09-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Perhaps this link (http://www.lightwiki.com/Boolean) will show you how Booleans work?

B
PS. The item as a black wireframe is in a background layer and is used to cut the item in the foreground layer.

Thanks,Yes I'm learning.I understand this operation,but my problem in lw is the mechanics of proper modeling. When I created my (ball) I used to many sides to make it smooth instead of just using the smooth function in the surface editor.I think I have to many poly's in it. I could be wrong !

billuke
09-21-2007, 09:28 AM
I just tried making a new ball with fewer sides,did a boolean and it cut right thru,so I was right for a change.Now i need to make the grid again,and see if I can do the whole thing at once.

billuke
09-21-2007, 10:06 AM
Ok ,I made this ball sectioned with the booleans.I need to figure out the background that is going to be in my animation to see how it looks. I still want to try and surface it with the white grid in case this dosen't look right.

You gentleman have been a big help. THANK YOU ! Bill

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 10:09 AM
No worries mate :)

billuke
09-21-2007, 10:11 AM
No worries mate :)

When I make my millions doing this stuff,I'll send ya some $$$ CA CHING.

Thanks again.

billuke
09-21-2007, 10:30 AM
One more question, I think if I bevel these edges,and give them a sheen,it will look awesome.How do I turn the face poly's into single surfaces to bevel them?

Cougar12dk
09-21-2007, 10:37 AM
You can't do this easily (far as I know), but you could try selecting the polys you wanna bevel and (placing the cursor in the center of the ball) bevel by dragging the mouse to the right (presuming you want the bevel to go out).

billuke
09-21-2007, 10:40 AM
I'll give it a shot,thanks