PDA

View Full Version : Tree designer, Polas website gone?

Intuition
09-20-2007, 01:10 PM
What happened to Polas' website?

http://www.polas.net/

Looks gone?

Is he finished with his plug-ins? I think we wanted to get the tree designer update?:help: :question:

mav3rick
09-20-2007, 01:22 PM
polas left to .au for work since he couldn't live with developing plugins......
he is working at FUEL and is doing commercials.......
as far i have contact with him he is not interested in further developing of plugins for any application out there.

bjornkn
09-20-2007, 01:34 PM
Sad to hear that he's left development. He had some very nice plugins, and I'm constantly using 4 of them.

BTW, I have no problems accessing his site at http://www.polas.net/

CourtJester
09-20-2007, 01:40 PM
We here are getting some sort of filler site, with a girl on it. I'm guessing that the DNS change is propagating, as WHOIS says his domain expired today.

mav3rick, does that mean he's not selling them anymore? That would be really bad, as I'd put in a request to purchase TreeDesigner for a project.

Simon
09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
Well the girl with the backpack is nice but I would be very disappointed if Polas disappeared from plugin land, he had some excellent plugins. Hope his site comes back up at some point.

monovich
09-20-2007, 03:34 PM
great. just bought his morph plugin and tree designer not too long ago. hope LW updates don't break them right away.

*sigh*

Greenlaw
09-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Wow! I just purchased the Tree Designer 1.5 update last week. It would be terrible if he dropped development of LW plug-ins. Pawel created some of the most useful LW plug-ins out there and kept them very affordable. I own most of his plug-ins, and I think I've used at least one or two of them on every job.

mav3rick
09-20-2007, 04:10 PM
We here are getting some sort of filler site, with a girl on it. I'm guessing that the DNS change is propagating, as WHOIS says his domain expired today.

mav3rick, does that mean he's not selling them anymore? That would be really bad, as I'd put in a request to purchase TreeDesigner for a project.

he is selling but so far as long i discuss with him there will be no new updates as i can see it now.... hopefully i will be able to change his thinking but for that i think he need kind of motivation both from newtek and customers... since piracy kills our small community together with small number of users database.....
i started betatesting his plugin quiet time ago and from that times i only can tell he is VERY talented developer with very good plugins that are usually working very well without some serious bugs or crashing.....

alvin_cgi
09-20-2007, 04:25 PM
I asked him sometime ago about fire and smoke plugin to 64bit, but his reply was he is still using 32bit and would taking so much time for testing etc etc, I don't think he is going to port his plugins to 64bit... which is very disappointed as many of us are now fully on 64bit.:cry:

I hopes he will contiune to develope those great plugins...:)

CourtJester
09-20-2007, 04:34 PM
he is selling but so far as long i discuss with him there will be no new updates as i can see it now

What or where is the channel to buy it? I have orders for one site/studio and one individual (me) burning a hole in my pocket right now.

Is he willing to open-source the plugins, if he has no further interest in development?

mav3rick
09-20-2007, 05:00 PM
What or where is the channel to buy it? I have orders for one site/studio and one individual (me) burning a hole in my pocket right now.

Is he willing to open-source the plugins, if he has no further interest in development?

i will talk to him about this since i know his plugins are more than interesting and innovative at same time....

Andyjaggy
09-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah tree designer rocks. At least open source it so the community can still have these available.

Greenlaw
09-20-2007, 05:59 PM
Speaking of open sourcing code, has anybody been able to contact the developers of C4? The plug-in is broken under 9.3 (apparently through all of the nine cycle,) and we've had to fall back to 8.0 to use it. I tried contacting one of the developers about this issue but so far no response.

The error we keep getting appears to be caused by outdated LScript code. If the opened the source code, one of our guys here could probably fix it.

Anyway, I hope we don't lose yet another talented developer and some cool tools.

DRG

hrgiger
09-20-2007, 06:39 PM
I hope he at least offered to sell them to Newtek before dropping all development. I mean, Newtek has a way of acquiring plug-ins that don't necessarily receive more attention (*cough* rounder) but hey, something is better then nothing.

GregMalick
09-20-2007, 07:47 PM
Unless he puts up a new website, he won't be selling anymore - that's for sure.
It would indeed be cool if NT considered purchasing some of these abandoned plug-ins:

Tree Designer
SmartMorph
Fire & Smoke
Surpasses

and what was the name of that real-time previewer that has been touted for years. Biggest vapor-ware tease I've ever been exposed to.. :D

Sensei
09-21-2007, 07:00 AM
Yeah tree designer rocks. At least open source it so the community can still have these available.

Couple years ago Pawel told me that it's half of million lines of code.. To be honest I have absolute no idea what he put in there, but if it's so big any improvements to this big monster are not possible.. Maybe just little changes like fixing crashes (if there are any).. Nobody will seat with it for months or years just learning what code means..

Sensei
09-21-2007, 07:56 AM
one dude wrote 500,000 lines of code for one plugin?

f.e. yesterday I wrote 700 lines of code for TrueHair and it took me 2 hours.. At such speed 500,000 would take 1428 hours = 178 days 8h per day.. ;)
TrueHair at the moment has something between 60,000-100,000 lines of code, and no comments at all (which obviously increase size of source codes)..

Limbus
09-21-2007, 07:59 AM
Too sad that he stopped developing them but who can blame him. Would be great if he would at least still sell them. I planed to get Treedesigner in the enxt month.

Cheers, Florian

Andyjaggy
09-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Programming blows my mind. I can't comprehend how people do it.

Phil
09-21-2007, 08:30 AM
Programming blows my mind. I can't comprehend how people do it.

Especially with no comments in there (looks at Sensei and :D )

bjornkn
09-21-2007, 09:08 AM
Especially with no comments in there (looks at Sensei and :D )
I'll bet that if Pawel have 500.000 lines of code that compiles down to 232kB it will probably be full of comments...
But probably not in English?

-EsHrA-
09-21-2007, 10:26 AM
hmm thats a bummer, i really wanted to buy TD and some more pretty soon.

hope someone or even the great polas will jump in and serve us the great tools he has done.

mlon

hrgiger
09-21-2007, 10:52 AM
one dude wrote 500,000 lines of code for one plugin?

While that is certainly a lot of code, don't think that every one of those lines has something significant on it. A line of code could include something as simple as a method bracket { depending on the format that the programmer prefers or many lines can be taken up by programmers notes explaining what is going on in code immediately proceeding it. There are also blank lines in between sections of code which are included in the line count.
For instance, the follwing code only has one word in it that the program sees

01 /*
02 this is code.
03 Gee, this is fun.
04 I love coding.
05 I'm hungry.
06 I wonder what I'll have for dinner tonight.
07 Meatloaf?
08 Pasta?
09 Steak and fries?
10 Pizza?.
11 Crap, there's a fly in the room.
12 Where's the flyswatter?
13 Oooh, forbidden donut. Yum.
14 Isn't Harrison Ford a little old to be playing Indiana Jones again?
15 I guess I should call the main method now.
16 **/
18 main(); // This is the only line the program actually sees.

So out of those 18 lines, only one of them has actual computer code on it (Well, technically 3 if you count the /* and **/ symbols which tell the compiler that everything in between these characters are to be ignored). Granted this is a silly example, but there is usually a fair amount of blank lines, and lines of notes that doesn't contain anything of interest to the computer.

pbelchamber
09-23-2007, 07:24 AM
The polas site is back up again for those who are interested - apparently he accidentally let it expire. Oops!

Castius
09-23-2007, 09:02 AM
Great to hear it's back up.

Puguglybonehead
09-23-2007, 09:53 PM
Glad his plugins are still available. I keep meaning to look into getting his Fire&SmokeGenerator.

alvin_cgi
09-24-2007, 01:31 AM
Make sure ask him to update his plugin to 64bit, that would be cool:D

Glad his plugins are still available. I keep meaning to look into getting his Fire&SmokeGenerator.

Carm3D
09-24-2007, 02:15 AM

Make sure he updates it for 9.x before you buy it. I own F&S and it doesn't work so well under 9.3.

CourtJester
09-24-2007, 12:58 PM
Make sure he updates it for 9.x before you buy it. I own F&S and it doesn't work so well under 9.3.

Oh great, just when I get my hopes up, I read this. I guess we'll just have to load up an older build. Any suggestions which one works best?

If Pawel is OK with keeping the plugs on the market but is not interested in further development, perhaps Denis P might be interested in taking over for him? As I understand it, Denis has his own tree plugins that do the same thing as Pawel's plugs, that are "based on an idea by Pawel Olas", which sounds like perhaps they shared some code; I emailed Denis to ask him about that prospect.

But now that Polas is back, I'm going to grab the upgrade for myself ASAP. Thanks for the update guys!

CourtJester
09-24-2007, 01:15 PM
But now that Polas is back

That should read "Polas.net". Damned edit time limit!

CourtJester
09-24-2007, 01:38 PM
Oh great, just when I get my hopes up, I read this. I guess we'll just have to load up an older build. Any suggestions which one works best?

Ah, only now do I realize that you guys were talking about Fire & Smoke, not TreesDesigner. Too early on a Monday morning...

polas
09-24-2007, 08:31 PM
Hi,

First of all I'm glad that there are still people interested in my plugins :-)
I had an accident with my domain name expiring (hard to keep track if you pay every three years for it). The web site and my email is back and should stay that way for next three years :-).

I didn't drop the development of the plugins completely. I'll still update them if necessary to make them work in newer versions of LW. someone mentioned problems with F&s in LW 9.3. What's the problem? Please send me detailed explanation of the problem and I'll try to fix it.

As far as 64bit versions are concerned at the moment I don't have tools/knowledge to compile them. I have to switch to Vista and get 64bit version of LW to be able to test them and get compiler which can handle it as well which will have to wait a bit.

I cannot comment on half a million lines of code at the moment as I don't have the source here but I think it is including all shared libraries I wrote to handle data structures and stuff. And quite possibly my code in not the most compact one and it was rather optimized for speed not compactness. And of course there are comments in the code (and yes they are in most cases in English). I spent nearly a year (full time) developing and R&Ding that monster and it went through different stages and different ideas were implemented. Probably there is a bit of code that can be just trashed (and most likely was trashed when I re-wrote parts to make 1.5 version).

I'm not sure if it is possible to convert it to open source as it wasn't designed that way and the code may be hard to pick up by other people (and I'm not a real programmer so....).

To be honest my plan is to write TreesDesigner (yea I've been writing about TD all the time, didn't I mention it?) as a standalone application taking objs as an input and probably outputting obj, lwo and maybe ma files. When will it happen? no idea. Having full time job and family doesn't help development...

so once again. if you have any problems with any of the plugins, just write to me and explain the issue (sample test scene is very welcome) and I'll do my best to fix it.

cheers,
Pawel

akademus
09-24-2007, 11:50 PM
To be honest my plan is to write TreesDesigner (yea I've been writing about TD all the time, didn't I mention it?) as a standalone application taking objs as an input and probably outputting obj, lwo and maybe ma files. When will it happen? no idea. Having full time job and family doesn't help development...

mmm. standalone TreeDesigner would be great. At the end of the day it doesn't matter whether you make an obj in standalone app and import or create it directly in modeler. However, standalone TD should be able to export LWO as well, otherwise you would loose weight maps. Wouldn't you?

inquisitive
09-25-2007, 12:11 AM
Sad to hear that he's left development. He had some very nice plugins, and I'm constantly using 4 of them.

BTW, I have no problems accessing his site at http://www.polas.net/

out of curiosity which four are you constantly using?

Carm3D
09-25-2007, 01:01 AM

It works great under 8.x

bjornkn
09-25-2007, 01:32 AM
out of curiosity which four are you constantly using?
Trees Designer, LeavesGenerator, Random Cloner and GrassGenerator.
They all work great :)

Sensei
09-25-2007, 07:07 AM
mmm. standalone TreeDesigner would be great.

BTW, Kray was stand-alone renderer too.. :)

akademus
09-25-2007, 07:12 AM
BTW, Kray was stand-alone renderer too.. :)

don't see any connection between Kray and possible TD standalone...

Tzan
09-25-2007, 07:59 AM
Thanks for the update Pawel !

Greenlaw
09-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Trees Designer, LeavesGenerator, Random Cloner and GrassGenerator.
They all work great :)

I use Random Cloner and Face2Camera on just about every job.

Face2Camera is a lot of fun--it works with Random Cloner to let you take thousands of cloned 'cards' in a single layer object, give each card a virtual pivot point, and then of course make all the cards face the camera (or any object). This saves me from trying to make thousands of individual objects in Layout face the camera, and it's much faster too! I mainly use it for landscape items, but have used it for weird abstract effects too.

Random Cloner is also great for making 'point carpets' for use with HD Instance. I've used it to generate rubble, grass, and trees for various commercials and game trailers. In the past, I even used this plug-in to plant feathers and fur on creatures.

And of course there's TreeDesigner, Grass Generator, and Leaves Generator--all very useful for obvious reasons.

DRG

CourtJester
09-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the update Pawel !

That goes double for me :) I'll be grabbing the update for my personal license as soon as I get some other things out of the way, and one for Eden soon after.

RedBull
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
As far as 64bit versions are concerned at the moment I don't have tools/knowledge to compile them. I have to switch to Vista and get 64bit version of LW to be able to test them and get compiler which can handle it as well which will have to wait a bit.

MSVC Express can be used to compile 64bit plugins on a 32bit platform environment, so there is no need to upgrade to Vista or get a new compiler.

so once again. if you have any problems with any of the plugins, just write to me and explain the issue (sample test scene is very welcome) and I'll do my best to fix it.

cheers,
Pawel

Glad to see them still alive.. How is working at "Fuel" going these days?
And what software are they making you use, do Fuel have any LW licences?
Still love the "Mathematics is the language of nature" tag from the demo reel.

Best to wife and family... :)

Lightwolf
09-26-2007, 02:23 AM
MSVC Express can be used to compile 64bit plugins on a 32bit platform environment...
It is a hell of a cludge though (yeah, been there, done that...)

Then again, I could always offer to port ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Dionysios
09-28-2007, 02:31 PM
Since somebody mentioned C4 being broken in LW 9.x, anyone out there know of any alternatives? Btw, C4:destruct is broken, but the layout plugin C4:explode still works. Of course, you'll have to break the mesh apart by hand first, unless there's another destruct clone out there.

Greenlaw
09-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Shoot! I just discovered that even Crack-it! from FI's Junkbox is broken. ("Fatal Code: 001") I'm not sure what else is out there that does this sort of thing. Perhaps a kind talented LScripter with destructive tendencies could be persuaded to create a new plug-in? :)

zardoz
09-28-2007, 04:15 PM
here it is...Dodgy did it for us.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74137

Greenlaw
09-29-2007, 12:52 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the tip, guys! This is great news and I'm happy that somebody is on top of this.

Coincidentally, a friend showed Dodgy's plug-in to me today, and while it doesn't have the neat Materials settings C4 had, it certainly helps fill a void in 9.3.

Gotta love this community! :)

DRG

erikals
09-30-2007, 06:12 AM
I tested Crackit/C4 in Modeler just now, work fine in LW9.2, haven't tried LW9.3

TreesDesigner rocks! +Random Cloner : )

erikals
09-30-2007, 06:20 AM
Update, I see Dodgy made a 'BreakUp' plugin http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74137

ColinCohen
09-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Shoot! I just discovered that even Crack-it! from FI's Junkbox is broken. ("Fatal Code: 001") I'm not sure what else is out there that does this sort of thing. Perhaps a kind talented LScripter with destructive tendencies could be persuaded to create a new plug-in? :)

I came across the same error the other day, Dennis. Turning off symmetry resolved it.

Greenlaw
09-30-2007, 04:10 PM
I came across the same error the other day, Dennis. Turning off symmetry resolved it.

Hey Colin! Good to hear from you.

That's very interesting. Are you using 9.3 or 9.2? I tried CrackIt again (in 9.3) and made sure symmetry was turned off, but I still got the error. BreakUp seems to work just fine though.

DRG

erikals
09-30-2007, 04:45 PM
Hi, only tried 9.2, works there, haven't installed 9.3 yet, I'm lazy :)

ColinCohen
09-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Hey Colin! Good to hear from you.

That's very interesting. Are you using 9.3 or 9.2? I tried CrackIt again (in 9.3) and made sure symmetry was turned off, but I still got the error. BreakUp seems to work just fine though.

DRG

I'm actually still using v8. If you still have that version installed perhaps you could use it just to break your object. But if that new plugin is working for you maybe it's not worth the effort.