PDA

View Full Version : importing EPS/DXF into LW

art
09-20-2007, 09:41 AM
This probably has been discussed to death, but maybe someone will provide me with a quick answer.

I'm trying to make a simple logo and I have to use a specific font, in bold. The text function in LW does not seem to have option for bold (or italics for that matter). I tried beveling but corners get messed up.

I decided to make the text in Illustrator (v10) but no matter how I export it I get nothing in LW when I try to import. I tried exporting as different versions of EPS and DXF. Is there a specific export setup I need to do in illustrator in order for the imports to work? I remember I imported things from Illustrator in the past but I do not recall the settings.

Any hints on how to properly bold a font in LW without messing with import/export are appreciated too.

archijam
09-20-2007, 10:04 AM
You just have to expand the text to paths in illustrator. That will also give you the chance to boolean characters together, overlap etc or use illustrators deform tools if you like ...

j.

art
09-20-2007, 10:06 AM
That did it. Thank you!

Matt
09-20-2007, 02:31 PM
A method I have used for creating bold fonts that don't have any is to ...

(In Illustrator)

1) Outline your text

2) Add a stroke path to it, set the line weight to whatever gives the right look

3) Go to 'Object -> Path -> Outline Stroke' from the menu

4) Ungroup

5) Boolean the lot together using Path Finder 'Add Shape'

6) Expand the object ('Object -> Expand' menu)

Not perfect but works if you're in a tight spot!

One way to make text bold in LW is to use the Bevel tool with no Shift value, then cut the outer polys (your new 'bold' version) from the old ones.

art
09-20-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks. Although I do not use illustrator that much I'll keep your tip in mind. Indeed, some fonts that need to be bold do not have that option.

Matt
09-20-2007, 02:50 PM
I find Illustrator a GREAT companion to LW, for instance, I often find it easier to create profiles in it for importing into LW for extrusion etc.

art
09-20-2007, 03:16 PM
I find Illustrator a GREAT companion to LW, for instance, I often find it easier to create profiles in it for importing into LW for extrusion etc.

I have access to illustrator only at work. I never got too much into it. Maybe I should :)