PDA

View Full Version : Lots of questions??

bptc
09-20-2007, 04:52 AM
New to VT4..i have found that there are some basic but essential questions i cant seem to figure out. First of all i have searched for 3rd party tutorials...and have found only a handful. Are there any great tutorial sites for VT4? 2nd question is that i brought in a photo(saved as a png) to be overlayed on a lower third live brodcast, but there was no transparancy so the speaker in back was covered up obviously. The file was a photoshop/with a black/merged background saved as a png. Any tips would be great
Thanks

Randy Rouse
09-20-2007, 06:15 AM
Other than the Newtek site, I don't know of a lot of tutorials online. Under the community tab on the Newtek site there is a selection for links that give you a few sites to visit. There is also a good training video avaliable from Class on Demand; check out their site.

If the png has alpha avaliable, you should be able to load into a DDR and select the DDR for the source of the DSK. I think in the past there was an issue with png saved out of photoshop not display alpha correctly.

Hope this rambling helps

bptc
09-20-2007, 08:09 AM
Other than the Newtek site, I don't know of a lot of tutorials online. Under the community tab on the Newtek site there is a selection for links that give you a few sites to visit. There is also a good training video avaliable from Class on Demand; check out their site.

If the png has alpha avaliable, you should be able to load into a DDR and select the DDR for the source of the DSK. I think in the past there was an issue with png saved out of photoshop not display alpha correctly.

Hope this rambling helps

Thanks Randy for some input.
I had another question for anybody out there about formatting text. I am building song lyrics for songs at my church...and have found that I need to be able to have a good work flow for being able to change the text, styles, location etc. I am basically going in to each individual slide and making the changes one by one....takes for ever!! How can i be more efficient with VT4 CG Designer. Also, I need to beef up the visual aspect of it with some motion graphics eventually....any sites or tips to get me started??
Sorry about my babbling ...much appreciated
Thanks

PIZAZZ
09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Thanks Randy for some input.
I had another question for anybody out there about formatting text. I am building song lyrics for songs at my church...and have found that I need to be able to have a good work flow for being able to change the text, styles, location etc. I am basically going in to each individual slide and making the changes one by one....takes for ever!! How can i be more efficient with VT4 CG Designer. Also, I need to beef up the visual aspect of it with some motion graphics eventually....any sites or tips to get me started??
Sorry about my babbling ...much appreciated
Thanks

In the CG, save your specific settings that you like under Styles. Then all you have to do is select whatever text you want to format and click the style you want to use.
I usually delete the rest of the presets and just leave the ones I like so someone is not tempted to use something that doesn't look consistent to the normal broadcast. (ie. the White face with Pink Shadow)

I trained the guy at my church to use 2 monitors with VT on 1 and the lyric software on the other to copy and paste from. He has gotten very good at it and knocks out a song in 10-15 minutes easy.

Another option is to do what a few churches have done and that is run a program like EasyWorship or MediaShout on the VT's second head with output to the third head. Use VT's VGA Capture program to bring the lyrics into the DSK overlay since it can generate it's own alpha channel. A second person could be managing the graphics while the TD just switches video. You will need 2 video cards with dual heads to do this. It works pretty well. It depends on the type of songs you are using. My church is Methodist and many of our traditional songs were not in the worship software at the time we switched to the VT for broadcast so we started building our own in CG. We have a couple hundred easy .cg song projects in the broadcast graphics folder now.

PIZAZZ
09-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Oh regarding .pngs and alpha. Make sure you save the png as a 24bit png in PhotoShop then your alpha should be there.

Or just use .tga files instead. They have alpha too.

bbeanan
09-20-2007, 09:05 AM
Also on the photoshop side you said...
"The file was a photoshop/with a black/merged background saved as a png."

If you have a black background in photoshop then you have no transparent areas in the image... all transparent areas would show up as a grey checkerboard.

I found this on the web it should help...
http://www.axialis.com/tutorials/tutorial-misc001.html

bptc
09-20-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much for the info...it worked!
I appreciate the quick response.
Another question...while i am building the songs, if I move text around to fast with my arrow keys...VT4 shuts down. It has happened 4 times today!!! We NewTek replaced the card about 5 months ago. It constantly does that it seems. It would be one thing if I was doing some large task, but moving text up 3 spaces....man.
Also is there any extra shortcut keys besides the F1 that it gives you?

bbeanan
09-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Use the photoshop tricks and do your text in photoshop and save yourself the pain in the butt

3DZign
09-23-2007, 06:14 PM
I would suggest the input from an additional computer. Use iVGA as an input. We use 2 Cams and iVGA as 3rd source. EasyWorship runs on the other computer.

jsanfilippo
09-23-2007, 07:17 PM
VTs CG is known to be buggy! People have been screaming about that for years.

As Jef mentions, we run Easyworship on the VT itself and capture and chroma is using VTCapture. Works slick! Easyworship is the fastest software around... and if you get a CCLI license, you can download lyrics directly from their site for most songs... no typing in of lyrics required. You can change settings locally on one song or globally to entire database.

You can run on VT and capture that way, or run on a separate computer and use iVGA to capture. Last i knew, that was buggy in terms of refresh speed - but that may be improved now. Doing it the way I do is very fast and efficient.

I save photoshop files to interlaced PNG with alpha all the time and DSK it... no issues there.

ScorpioProd
09-23-2007, 07:49 PM
BTW, I think you guys mean 32-bit for the "with alpha channel". 24-bit would be without an alpha channel.

PIZAZZ
09-23-2007, 09:24 PM
BTW, I think you guys mean 32-bit for the "with alpha channel". 24-bit would be without an alpha channel.

Yep, Eugene. You are absolutely correct. I was wrong. Yep it happens.
I should of opened Photoshop to doublecheck it. Alas one for the history books. Jef wasn't right. Jef wasn't right. Shout it loud, Shout it Proud, Jef wasn't right.... ;)

bbeanan
09-24-2007, 12:17 AM
man Jef is losing his edge...

jsanfilippo
09-24-2007, 09:40 AM
man Jef is losing his edge...

Ya - what an idiot that Jef is. The guy OBVIOUSLY knows nothing!:D

SBowie
09-24-2007, 09:42 AM
Just in case the 'tongue in cheek' isn't obvious to some newbie who stumbles in here, we all know Jef is one of the smartest, most experienced, innovative, and generous 'toaster-heads' around these parts.

It would be a very rare thing to catch him mis-stating anything, so I think some are just enjoying yanking his chain while they can.

jsanfilippo
09-24-2007, 09:46 AM
Well put Steve!